Drivetrain problems

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Dantak

Drivetrain problems

Post by Dantak »

Ok. I'm having some issues with my drivetrain. First, the clutch is VERY heavy. The guy I bought it from told me the guy he bought it from installed a heavy duty clutch. Fine, I'll replace the clutch. But there's more. It has a pro 5.0 power tower shifter and most of the time it feels like it just doesn't want to shift. So, I think to myself, maybe the clutch isn't completely letting go of the flywheel, because it also grinds occasionally at high rpms. One more thing, it feels like it doesn't want to stay in 2nd sometimes. After it's already in gear with my hand on the stick it grinds a tad and pops out. So I think this guy has installed the stops for the shifter too close to neutral. So, I adjust them. Now it seems to happen less often but still happens. So I do a little more research and find out that hard shifts may be caused by old or low transmission fluid. So, I think, great, I'll take care of that pretty easy. My question is, how many of these other problems could be caused by the same thing?
93COBRAinAZ

Post by 93COBRAinAZ »

Sounds like your synchros are worn out.
1993 COBRA #4975
Teal/Black cloth
BADBOY

Post by BADBOY »

93COBRAinAZ wrote:Sounds like your synchros are worn out.
+1
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
Teal car/black cloth interior
#195 - 1 of 185
SOLD AND NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO !
MY 93 SNAKE
Dantak

Post by Dantak »

correct me if i'm wrong, but that only answers the question of grinding. It doesn't grind all the time and it grinds in second and third at high RPMs (these are 2 different synchros) and this could be caused by the clutch not letting go of the flywheel. Synchros is of course the easy answer for grinding, but it doesn't feel like that's the answer.
ceetwarrior

Post by ceetwarrior »

I am having the exact same problem with my wifes T45! There is something wrong with the clutch and and is causing trans problems.

I know the clutch is out of adjustment cause is doesn't let out until almost all the way up. I have adjustested it the best I could but still bad.

Then it's got a shitty aftermarket shifter and is hard to shift!! I don't know if thats the shifter or the clutch. (Don't know the brand of shifter)

And the throwout bearing has been touching the clutch even when with the pedal let out, for who knows how long and is completely worn out and squeeling.

I bought a King Cobra Clutch, pressure plate, HD throwout bearing and a steeda double adjustable cable. Just waiting to for the modivation to yank the trans..
'93 #3593 Teal/Black cloth - *Sold* but went to a good home! Don't join the teal/black divorce club..
'95 SVT COBRA #3463 (current)