ECU and mass air meter

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
dilwert

ECU and mass air meter

Post by dilwert »

Quick question. 93 Cobra #60 came with heads/cam/intake setup. It also has a A9P computer but looks to have the stock mass meter. It still has the 24lb injectors. My question is does the A9P computer match up to the stock 93 Cobra meter? Do I need to add a matching meter calibrated for 24lb injectors?

From reading around I think the stock original 93 Cobra computer was calibrated to use a stock meter with 24lb injectors. If I now have an A9P how does the existing meter know I have 24lb injectors.
1986Browns

Re: ECU and mass air meter

Post by 1986Browns »

dilwert wrote:Quick question. 93 Cobra #60 came with heads/cam/intake setup. It also has a A9P computer but looks to have the stock mass meter. It still has the 24lb injectors. My question is does the A9P computer match up to the stock 93 Cobra meter? Do I need to add a matching meter calibrated for 24lb injectors?
A stock A9P ECU won't properly work (unless it has an aftermarket chip) as all the pre-programmed look-up tables are based around 19lb injectors and the smaller 5.0 HO mass air meter. If you haven't already, I'd check to see if you have some kind of performance chip installed on your car...I'm thinking you might.
dilwert wrote:From reading around I think the stock original 93 Cobra computer was calibrated to use a stock meter with 24lb injectors. If I now have an A9P how does the existing meter know I have 24lb injectors.
I don't think it does.
dilwert

Post by dilwert »

so from what i gather the current computer will not work properly unless it has a tune chip installed? Besides tuning, would it work properly with an A9L and the matching 24lb mass meter?
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

dilwert wrote:so from what i gather the current computer will not work properly unless it has a tune chip installed? Besides tuning, would it work properly with an A9L and the matching 24lb mass meter?
Yes it would.. should be good to go without too much tuning. What heads/cam/intake?
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
dilwert

Post by dilwert »

The car has stock cobra intakes, ported GT40 Aluminum head, ECam and full exhaust. In the rear it has 410 gears. I plan on replacing them with 355s.