How to: Painting lens stripes

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
NV93Cobra

How to: Painting lens stripes

Post by NV93Cobra »

I’ve gotten a few inquiries of how I painted my tail lights. Here is a recap of the process. I’m sure there are more eloquent solutions but this is the route I took.

Supplies:
Aftermarket SVO/93 Cobra tail lenses with taped stripes – http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/ite ... r-93-Cobra
Grey SVO trim paint – http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/ite ... Trim-Paint
Black pin stripe (I used this) – http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... ifier=7342
Grey Scotch-Brite – http://3mcollision.com/products/tools/s ... 37448.html
Blue Painters Tape – http://www.homedepot.com/p/ScotchBlue-1 ... dHH4PnSb9M

I started with a set of new SVO/93 Cobra reproduction lenses from Late Model Restoration, a can of SVO grey paint (LMR as well), two packages of black pin stripe, grey Scotch-Brite, and some blue painters tape.

The first thing I did was take the black pin striping and laid it down on the lens on both sides of the grey taped pin stripes, effectively creating a black/grey/black stripe for each of the 6 grey stripes (I needed two packs of tape; 40 feet isn't enough for two lenses). Once the six sets of black stripes were laid down, I removed the 6 grey stripes. I used a razor blade to pick the edge of the grey stripe; once it was pealed up a bit, you can just pull it off with your hands. For the fifth stripe, which is not complete. I laid down an additional 4” strip of pin striping to cover where painted stripe will end.

Next I took my blue painters tape and masked the rest of the lens. The only exposed area at this point should be the six stripes. Now I took my grey Scotch-Brite and scuffed the lens where the stripes were going.

After that it’s just painting. I hung my lenses and applied about 4 coats of grey SVO paint until I felt the coverage was about right. Follow the instructions on the paint can.

I let the lens dry overnight then removed all the pin stripe tape.
Last edited by NV93Cobra on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 SVT Cobra #4970
1993 Mustang GT (Sold)
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Re: How to: Painting lens stripes

Post by escogt »

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing your procedure.
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

^^^^
X2. Seems like a lot of work, but from the pics you posted ... worth the effort.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Teal1of185

Post by Teal1of185 »

Could you post pictures of the results?
Mike

93 Teal w/Black interior 1 of 185
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Mark93

Post by Mark93 »

Done this a time or to!
Work at a collision center
I like to clear over the whole lens after i am done protects stripe from being buffed off and uv rays from breaking down the rattlecan smoke paint...
BrentE

Painting lens stripes

Post by BrentE »

From measuring the lines, and finding posts where others have done the same, we know that the stripes are 1/8" wide. With 3/8 voids in between, making it 1/2" from the top of one stripe to the top of the next. I just found a neat tool I am going to try - it is a pinstripe stencil tape. It has 3 lines 1/8" wide, with 1/8" void in between. This means that if I block off the center opening, i will end up with two lines that are 1/2" from top to top. Line up a second piece so it matches the lower line from the first tape, and again blöock the center, and you have three parallel lines that are all 1/2" from top to top. They also sell single line 1/8" tape so I will see which is easier to do - the overlapping tape as described above, or just adding the third stripe with a different single line stencil tape.

I have this on order along with some SVO gray trim lacquer. I will take pics as I test this out and let you all know if this makes it easy to stripe lenses. Personally I hate the repros with the stripes that are just tape stuck on the plastic. I want as original as possible. I bought a couple of taillight assemblies that were in decent shape, used wet sanding at 1000, then 3000, and finished with a buffing with plastic polish. They look like new... Just need the right color on the dark areas and the stripes! Hopefully this will come out looking good.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.