93 Cobra X3Z ECM questions

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Cobra Jet

93 Cobra X3Z ECM questions

Post by Cobra Jet »

Just some questions regarding the 93 Cobra ECM:

How come on some X3Z ECM's I've seen, on the Ford label that is affixed to the unit, it says "REMAN" in bold near the "X3Z", but others it does not? I'm not referring to a parts store refurb'd unit, I'm referring to a genuine Ford unit with the original Ford EEC-IV label. I'm almost certain the REMAN label refers to "remanufactured", yes?

Like this one (REMAN):

And this one, does not have the REMAN wording on the label:

If a 1993 Cobra never had its original ECM replaced, why if removing it for the first time would there be the possibility of it having the REMAN label? Is it possible Ford had to replace faulty ECM's with REMAN units on the production line - or where these "REMAN'd" units possibly manufactured after original production of X3Z's to supplement a possible low supply?
Last edited by Cobra Jet on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #13
93Cobra#2771

Re: 93 Cobra X3Z ECM questions

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

First I've heard of such an issue. My car doesn't have REMAN on it.

I would think that perhaps a dealer had replaced it somewhere along the way. I don't see Ford having reman units on the production line itself.

FYI, the any A9L family processor can be chipped to be just like the X3Z. So don't pay more for an X3Z if you plan on doing any modifications to a car.

What is nice about the X3Z profile is it has factory drivability with 24# injectors, larger MAF and larger TB. However, most people will zero that tune out almost complete, as the A9L is actually a more aggressive controller.

I modified mine to almost all A9L specs, especially tip in throttle settings to get the quicker revving setup like the A9L family. Very little of the original X3Z tune is left on mine...
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
Cobra Jet

Post by Cobra Jet »

93Cobra#2771 wrote:First I've heard of such an issue. My car doesn't have REMAN on it.

I would think that perhaps a dealer had replaced it somewhere along the way. I don't see Ford having reman units on the production line itself.

FYI, the any A9L family processor can be chipped to be just like the X3Z. So don't pay more for an X3Z if you plan on doing any modifications to a car.

What is nice about the X3Z profile is it has factory drivability with 24# injectors, larger MAF and larger TB. However, most people will zero that tune out almost complete, as the A9L is actually a more aggressive controller.

I modified mine to almost all A9L specs, especially tip in throttle settings to get the quicker revving setup like the A9L family. Very little of the original X3Z tune is left on mine...

Interesting reply about the A9L vs the X3Z parameters.

I was also thinking or should I say wondering if the REMAN'd X3Z's were possibly reworked A9L internals completed by the supplier to Ford (which may be the reason for the different labeling)?? Not sure if that makes sense to anyone, but I'm really curious to know where the REMAN'd X3Z's originated from....

I'm pretty sure that when or if an ECM was replaced by and at the Ford Dealer - the unit would be another brand new unit, not one with "REMAN'd" labeling. I recall buying new A9L's back in the day and those never had a REMAN label.

What is interesting too is both a REMAN and non-REMAN X3Z ECM's both come sealed with the same gray Ford decal (like all other original ECMs) that reads:
"Warranty Item Do Not Open" (Ford)

?

:)
- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #13
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Cobra Jet wrote: I'm pretty sure that when or if an ECM was replaced by and at the Ford Dealer - the unit would be another brand new unit, not one with "REMAN'd" labeling.
Not sure about ECM replacements, but there are instances when a Ford dealer will replace parts with remanufactured units. Years ago, my local Ford dealer replaced the alternator and water pump on my '89 with remanufactured units. I remember the new alternator installed by the dealer had a metallic silver sticker with green and blue lettering indicating it was a remanufactured unit.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

Cobra Jet wrote: Interesting reply about the A9L vs the X3Z parameters.

I was also thinking or should I say wondering if the REMAN'd X3Z's were possibly reworked A9L internals completed by the supplier to Ford (which may be the reason for the different labeling)?? Not sure if that makes sense to anyone, but I'm really curious to know where the REMAN'd X3Z's originated from....
Internals are identical, it's the programming that is different. And that programming is accessed through the port on the side. Of course, could have been something on the board that died, or whatever.
I'm pretty sure that when or if an ECM was replaced by and at the Ford Dealer - the unit would be another brand new unit, not one with "REMAN'd" labeling. I recall buying new A9L's back in the day and those never had a REMAN label.
True, up to a point. That point being when they run out of NOS of them. So then, they get into revamping existing units, or simply having a new production run done. I imagine revamping existing to be the less expensive option.
What is interesting too is both a REMAN and non-REMAN X3Z ECM's both come sealed with the same gray Ford decal (like all other original ECMs) that reads:
"Warranty Item Do Not Open" (Ford)

?

:)
Tells me that it is most certainly a reman Ford unit (you can get reman units that are not Ford now). My guess is that Ford didn't want to pony up for a full production run and decided to fix what they had. Believe it or not, the EEC is a very robust design. Very few of them truly fail. And sometimes, they were replaced when they weren't necessarily at fault.
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy