Shorty on long tubes for a supercharger

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
COBRAJR707

Shorty on long tubes for a supercharger

Post by COBRAJR707 »

So, I just ordered a v3 si tuner kit for my cobra.

I am currently running unequal length shorty ceramic coated headers with a highflow catted hpipe. I'm thinking of getting long tubes with an offroad h or x pipe. What do u guys think?

I'm also going to be running a programmable msd 6al-2 box for launching at the track. Would it be better to run no cats because of this?

Let me know what you guys think..

Thanks
#3851 red/graycloth/sunroof
91 GT burgundy/titanium gray cloth
92 GT black/titanium gray cloth sunroof (sold)
96 GT burgundy/peanut butter convertible (sold)
88 GT white/titanium red cloth (RIP)
1986Browns

Re: Shorty on long tubes for a supercharger

Post by 1986Browns »

What are your plans for the car? Is this going to be a weekend warrior at the track or just a fun street car to cruise in? If it was my car I'd just pick up an off-road mid pipe that will work with the shorty headers you already have and call it a day. Long tubes will make more power/torque but they are a little more of pain to install and depending on what brand of LT's you go with...transmission/clutch work will require the removal of the headers. Also, because the O2 sensors are moved further downstream in the exhaust system than the factory location some cars may experience issues because of that. Some LT's also hang low under the car which can be a nightmare with bad driveway entrances and parking lot speed bumps. A lowered car will exacerbate these issues.
Last edited by 1986Browns on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

^^^

All good things to consider. You'll definitely get more power from LTs, especially since you'll be adding the supercharger. Also, X-pipes are generally louder and raspier w/power gains higher in the rpm range. H-pipes generally create a lower, throaty rumble with more low end power. I'm all for these types of mods. I personally have a Vortech V2 w/BBK long tubes and a BBK off-road H pipe. Great performance, sounds awesome (check the "Wanna Hear #3754?" video) and no underside clearance issues.

03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
1986Browns

Post by 1986Browns »

Z282SLO wrote:^^^

All good things to consider. You'll definitely get more power from LTs, especially since you'll be adding the supercharger. Also, X-pipes are generally louder and raspier w/power gains higher in the rpm range. H-pipes generally create a lower, throaty rumble with more low end power. I'm all for these types of mods. I personally have a Vortech V2 w/BBK long tubes and a BBK off-road H pipe. Great performance, sounds awesome (check the "Wanna Hear #3754?" video) and no underside clearance issues.

Do you have a side profile pic to show the exhaust to road surface clearance?
COBRAJR707

Post by COBRAJR707 »

Z282SLO wrote:^^^

U

Do you have 3/4" or 5/8" long tubes?
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

1986Browns wrote: Do you have a side profile pic to show the exhaust to road surface clearance?
Picky! Picky! Don't believe I have no clearance issues? ;)
I'll take a few and post soon.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

COBRAJR707 wrote:Do you have 3/4" or 5/8" long tubes?
1 5/8" chrome

http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/ ... key[]=1414
03 COBRA Black with VMP
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Definitely go with a set of LT's

But, as for size... First, how much boost do you plan on running, all stock motor also?
COBRAJR707

Post by COBRAJR707 »

BrettT wrote:Definitely go with a set of LT's

But, as for size... First, how much boost do you plan on running, all stock motor also?

I believe the si tuner kit will run between 7-10 psi. As far as motor, I currently have the stock motor in it, but I am planning on swapping my gt40 crate motor out of my GT. It has svo aluminum gt40x heads and an e303 cam.

Since I'm pulling the motor, I figure I might as well do the headers at this time.
NV93Cobra

Post by NV93Cobra »

Are you located in Sonoma or Mendocino county? As a former California resident, you're going to have a hard time smogging your car with long tube headers. But, I believe Mendocino and parts of Sonoma don't have a biennial smog check requirement.
1993 SVT Cobra #4970
1993 Mustang GT (Sold)
COBRAJR707

Post by COBRAJR707 »

NV93Cobra wrote:Are you located in Sonoma or Mendocino county? As a former California resident, you're going to have a hard time smogging your car with long tube headers. But, I believe Mendocino and parts of Sonoma don't have a biennial smog check requirement.
I am in solano county. But, I'm not worried about smog. I have that taken care of.
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

COBRAJR707 wrote:
BrettT wrote:Definitely go with a set of LT's

I believe the si tuner kit will run between 7-10 psi. As far as motor, I currently have the stock motor in it, but I am planning on swapping my gt40 crate motor out of my GT. It has svo aluminum gt40x heads and an e303 cam.

Since I'm pulling the motor, I figure I might as well do the headers at this time.
Oh yea :headbang: , that's a great combo. With 7-10 psi, I would go with 1 5/8 LT's with that motor. I would suggest swapping out the e303 cam and put a b-303 in. The B cam even with the smaller lift compared to the E cam...has a better lobe. The B cam is great with a blower and works better, IMO. I had your setup except with heavily ported gt40 iron heads, B-cam, 1 5/8 LT's to dumps, with 15psi on cam 2 fuel, extrune honed lower intake with NO chip's or piggy back system....simply OLD school tune in just over a 3600 lb car with me in it that went a 10.41 best, and a consistent 10.60-70 all day long. It was the best setup I ever had.

As I was running 1 5/8 LT's with 15psi that I stated above......IMO, I would of benefited from a set of 1 3/4 LT's. Just never got around to making the change. That's what I would of suggested if you were going to cram nearly 15 psi into that motor, a set of 1 3/4 LT's.
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

I also have 1 5/8 BBK Long tubes with no clearance issues at all. You would have to have a "low rider" to run into any serious issues.. :headbang:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

1986Browns wrote:Do you have a side profile pic to show the exhaust to road surface clearance?
Here you go. The low point where the LTs connect to the mid pipe is 5" above the road surface. I have no problem w/driveways, speed bumps, etc.

03 COBRA Black with VMP
COBRAJR707

Post by COBRAJR707 »

Thanks guys.. It settled.. I'm going with bbk ceramic coated 2 5/8" long tubes with an offroad x pipe.