Lower Intake Bolt Help - Stripped

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
HMGARCIA

Lower Intake Bolt Help - Stripped

Post by HMGARCIA »

My lower intake bolt, closest to the water pump seems to be stripped. How can I fix this issue without having to pull the upper and lower intake ? The bolt fits in the hole, it feels like it wants to grab, just not enough meat. IT wont tighten

Larger bolt ?

Thanks for the info guys.
# 4747 - Teal 93
1993cobra
Site Admin

Re: Lower Intake Bolt Help - Stripped

Post by 1993cobra »

is the bolt too short? if it is stripped you can get a heli-coil thread repair kit use a vacuum when you drill to catch all the shavings.
HMGARCIA

Post by HMGARCIA »

1993cobra wrote:is the bolt too short? if it is stripped you can get a heli-coil thread repair kit use a vacuum when you drill to catch all the shavings.

Im using the stock bolt, it wont grab
# 4747 - Teal 93
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Seems odd that you stripped a bolt which (I believe) mounts into the head. I would expect the head threads to be more durable then the threads on the bolt. You sure the bolt didnt just snap in half where the threads start to go into the head?
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
HMGARCIA

Post by HMGARCIA »

POOBLAH wrote:Seems odd that you stripped a bolt which (I believe) mounts into the head. I would expect the head threads to be more durable then the threads on the bolt. You sure the bolt didnt just snap in half where the threads start to go into the head?
"I" didn't strip the bolt- I acquired the car this way -
No - the bolt didn't snap-
# 4747 - Teal 93
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

Are the other bolt's tight already? If so you need to loosen them up start all of them then look up the torque sequence to tighten.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
HMGARCIA

Post by HMGARCIA »

WillyB93 wrote:Are the other bolt's tight already? If so you need to loosen them up start all of them then look up the torque sequence to tighten.
??

I followed the torque sequence, when it was all said and done, the bolt descbribed couldnt be torqued all the way down. it would feel like its grabbing , but continue to spin, stripped.
# 4747 - Teal 93
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

HMGARCIA wrote:
WillyB93 wrote:Are the other bolt's tight already? If so you need to loosen them up start all of them then look up the torque sequence to tighten.
??

I followed the torque sequence, when it was all said and done, the bolt descbribed couldnt be torqued all the way down. it would feel like its grabbing , but continue to spin, stripped.
Just wanted to make sure you had all in at the same time, if you had some in and tightened it may make it hard for the others to go in.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
HMGARCIA

Post by HMGARCIA »

WillyB93 wrote:
HMGARCIA wrote:
??

Just wanted to make sure you had all in at the same time, if you had some in and tightened it may make it hard for the others to go in.

Yessir. I used metal rods to guide it down flush , all bolts went in with ease. (( the first time i tried to eyeball it and it didnt turn out so good, i got the rod guides idea of the internets ))
# 4747 - Teal 93