Well dammit.....

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Well dammit.....

Post by POOBLAH »

So in my quest to fix my front suspension, I had decided to get a used low mileage set of Tokico struts from a Mach 1 (03-04). This was about the only way I could figure to have a semi-stock look with a semi-stock pair of struts. I had bought them about 8 months ago from eBay, tested them out, and then put them in storage. I recently decided to get them out in preparation of a suspension rebuild. As I'm testing one shock out, I hear this hiss... followed by oil dripping and the shock no longer returning after compression.

So now I have one good strut (maybe).... and need to reevaluate my plans for the strut replacement. Any suggestions on this? I've hit a wall on what to do.
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Re: Well dammit.....

Post by POOBLAH »

Well I have finally determined what part of my issue has been with the suspension hitting so hard on a bump. I had three problems going against me.

1. The struts that were installed on my car were too long.
2. The bumper stop that SHOULD be installed with the strut was not present. (I'm assuming because the shock was too long)
3. My car has a slight learn towards the passenger side. (Which is why that side would always make the noise on the one side and not the other.)

I went ahead and tried installing the 1 Tokico Mach One strut I still had left with a bumper stop. (Just see if that would help) It did wonders!!! For the first time EVER, I was able to go over a bump faster that 15 mph. I had no issues with travel or distance. Nor did it hit all the time like I was thinking it would. So knowing that, I think I will continue forward and used the Tokico Mach 1 struts on both sides. I gave a picture below. The top strut is the one originally installed on my car, the middle one is the Tokico, and the last one is what the standard size should be for our Cobras.

Its nice to finally have SOME idea on what the issue was with the suspension. The hitting was almost unbearable and made driving the car sometimes not fun.

Now I just need to find some Ford front control arm bushings and I can finish the job.
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
WillyB93

Re: Well dammit.....

Post by WillyB93 »

Struts have an area of travel they are supposed to work in, that's why it's crucial for exact info or even the old part for replacement. Or if you to modify the suspension, raise or lower to get a different strut/shock with a different reflex area to meet your needs. I remember working at a parts store and having to look up several different size's for raised or lowered vehicles in the past, we always had a book to reference the fitment reflex area on the shock/strut.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)