Center Console Repair?

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
jstanley55

Center Console Repair?

Post by jstanley55 »

So I picked up a nice OE CD player and some extra floor mats from our friend rolltide last weekend and I'd like to install the radio but I have 4 wonderful holes in my console from the aftermarket radio install. Has anyone ever filled and sprayed the radio portion (black upright part) of their console? If so, what did you use and how'd it turn out? I really don't want to buy a new console as the rest of mine is perfect.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
buddha

Re: Center Console Repair?

Post by buddha »

I used this:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/606-491 ... Mwod_wkA2A

It's already black to boot, but you can still spray the radio side,up to where it meets the bottom of the console. Stuff works pretty darn well. If you really take your time, it's hard to see where the holes were. Mine could have turned out better, but I'm happy with the results. FYI, the liquid part of the mix has no problem in melting existing plastic, so be careful with it if you decide to give it a try.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

Is it like a plastic bondo, Or is it hard to work with? Pretty cool product if it is.....
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

Thanks Buddha! I'll order some and how it all goes good!
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
buddha

Post by buddha »

Instead of a 2 part epoxy, it's a powerder and urethane. This vid gives you an idea of how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stO4pDw4L94

This is on the extreme side with filler and sanding, all of which you should'nt need to do with filling the holes with the powder/liquid mix. There is a a blue rubber-like molding piece that will allow you to transfer a pattern over onto the plastic before it cures. Not hard to use, just need to take you time, experiment with it a bit on the side do get an idea of cure time, etc.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP