Complete Front Suspension Teardown and Rebuild

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Complete Front Suspension Teardown and Rebuild

Post by POOBLAH »

All,

I got the passenger side front suspension completely removed from my Cobra. When I was looking at my control arm I noticed a fairly large size crack in my bushing. The other bushing seems to look fine. Now I've seen control arm bushings that are complete toast. Im not sure I would classify this one that way. So in my quest to keep the car as stock as possible I'm a little torn on the decision. It also doesn't help me hearing how much of a pain in the ass it is to replace them. I'd like your opinions on if I should replace the control arm bushings. Whats the main thing you all look for in bad control arms for these fox bodies?

FYI: The ball joints 100% toast and will need to be replaced. Any suggestions for that as well?
Last edited by POOBLAH on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Re: Determining if Front Control Arm Bushing should be repla

Post by POOBLAH »

Well I found some Ford Racing Lower Control arms on eBay. Picked them up for $300, which is reasonable. Now I have an extra set of Moog Ball joints that I no longer need. :-/ Ah well... Im still glad I found the control arms.
Cobra #11

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Re: Complete Front Suspension Teardown and Rebuild

Post by POOBLAH »

I've got the k-member and inner fender well cleaned up as much as possible. I've also installed the control arm (loosely).

Now I just need to find a spring compressor which will work. Most Macpherson strut spring compressors won't work. Neither will that little tool that 5.0 resto sells that helps "guide" the spring into place. (Being a stock spring + new isolators, its too long). If you gentlemen have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.
Cobra #11

1986Browns

Post by 1986Browns »

How many miles are on your car?
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Since its a Pre-Production car I've been trying to fix it up and clean it as I go along. Its been a long process, but she is finally coming together slowly. It can be a real pain in the ass trying to stick with stock parts sometimes. lol.
Cobra #11

Powers33

Post by Powers33 »

POOBLAH wrote:I've got the k-member and inner fender well cleaned up as much as possible. I've also installed the control arm (loosely).

Now I just need to find a spring compressor which will work. Most Macpherson strut spring compressors won't work. Neither will that little tool that 5.0 resto sells that helps "guide" the spring into place. (Being a stock spring + new isolators, its too long). If you gentlemen have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.
Well I have used 2sets of rachet straps before to compress my springs. They make a 1 peace design that has the strap connected to the ratcheting tightener. Also once the spring is in place but maybe not compressed enough you can put a floor jack under the control arm .
93 teal / black #1758 36k
Light crustal blue /black lx ( sold )
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

A pain in the ass but I always used two people and a floor jack.
93N8

Post by 93N8 »

I bought this at either advanced auto or Harbour freight. I had to go to Lowes to get the spacers and washers. When your done just loosen it and it falls down thru the hole in the A arm. I went eibach pro kit and everyone told me i wouldn't have to compress the new springs. They were wrong. And it was easy peasy with this compressor
'93' Cobra #761
Red/grey
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Yea.. Im thinking that is gonna be my best bet. One thing though... Instead of spacers like you have, couldn't I just feed only the threaded end through into the spring and let the bottom of the control arm act as a stop for the other half? This would give me more leverage. I was also thinking that to prevent it from scraping the bottom of my control arm, to use a hard block of OAK wood between the bottom of the control arm and the end of the spring compressor.
Cobra #11

93N8

Post by 93N8 »

I'd have to look. It could be possible. I think I only used the spacers to put the new springs in. I just compressed it, set it in. Put it back together and slid it out
'93' Cobra #761
Red/grey
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

Lowering springs are way easier than stock by far! The ordinary spring compressor won't work on stock height springs. You won't be able to get it out once the lower control arm is in position. There's a post on here somewhere where Aaron mentioned a special spring compressor he bought, might want to search for it but if I recall he said it was pricey.
May the force be with you!
Last edited by jstanley55 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
jstanley55

Post by jstanley55 »

Here's the post I was referring to:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4870&p=44118&hilit ... all#p44118
#4993 Teal/Leather
#168 '89 Saleen SSC
#1848 Red/Leather (sold)
#4532 Black/Black (sold)
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Thanks for the info!
Cobra #11

POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Well I got almost all the parts prepped and cleaned! I also went ahead and bought a spring compressor which I think will work. I took my old spring and control arm up to the shop to test it before I bought it. Tomorrow (wife permitting) Ill put the spring, spindle, and strut back on. I have a few other parts not in the picture. (Like NEW OEM strut covers + hardware)

HERES TO HOPING IT GOES WELL!!!!! :-)
Cobra #11

POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

So I ended up fighting with it for 12 hours last Saturday while trying to compress the Spring into the Control Arm. Despite my best efforts, compressing the spring all the way does not work because of the natural bow that it has in it. My only choice was to compress the spring by itself, leaving the top and bottom coils alone so that the compressor would not bind into the control arm nor the spring socket within the K Member. Finally after a quick 30 minutes worth of effort I was able to secure the spring in, and loosen the compressor enough that all tension was on the K-Member and ARM. Unfortunately I then had another problem on my hands which was removing the tool which was now bound within the coils of the spring. The tool is three main parts (a larger hook, a long bolt, and the smaller hook assemblies). The order matters GREATLY when trying to remove them. First you have to remove the big hook (larger single unit). Because it has bumps to keep it from slipping, you need a crow bar to assist with this. After using a crow bar and a rubber mallet for about an hour, I was finally able to pull this part out. Then I was left with long bolt and the smaller dual hook assembly. You have to get the hook assembly all the way to the bottom of the control arm in order to unscrew the long bolt out. Once you have the long bolt unscrewed then it simply slides through the bottom of the K-Member. The last part was getting the dual hook assembly out. This was kinda tricky because I kept trying to get it to go through the hole in the control arm and it would not work. There is not enough room to twist the assembly straight up and down (which is what needs to happen in order to make it fit through the control arm hole) Instead I found the coils with the largest gap and managed to slide the assembly out through them with the assistance of the crow bar. Once that was done, then it was a matter of attaching the Strut and Spindle back on to keep it secure. :-)

What a mess! I've never had to fight with issues like that on a car before! Kinda makes me not look forward to doing the other side, but at least I know its possible now.

In the end, I found about 5 ways which won't work and 1 way that does. Trial and Error.

Cobra #11