Wish list

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Wish list

Post by vinchez78 »

Well been thinking about starting a wish list for Christmas for the cobra but will need ur help on couple things :
-shifter, should go with pro shifter 5.0? Heard good things about this, should I go with short or standard height? Do I keep my clutch or upgrade?
-gears: was thinking about 3:27 but heard 3:55 are the best? What brand?
-window trim and door trim, plan on painting the cobra in the spring but want to replace trim before hand , is LMR kits good?

Thanks for any good info fellas, feel free to add any other items that you think would be a good upgrade
BLK on Leather
buddha

Re: Wish list

Post by buddha »

Shifter really depends on you. I've run a Pro 5.0 base with a Steeda Tri-Ax handle for many years. I never liked the short stubby that Pro 5.0 used to have on the originals. Anything is better then stock. I know Barton seems to be the hot shifter right now, but for the money, I still like the Steeda, Pro 5.0.

Keep the clutch unless it's worn out, or you getting ready to toss a significant amount of power to it.

Don't waste your time with anything less than a 3.55 if your all N/A, all motor. 3.73's work really nice unless you like to do 80 on the freeway daily.

If your going to replace the trim, wait until after it's painted. Of course that's assuming your going to pull it all off before the paint job.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

buddha wrote:Shifter really depends on you. I've run a Pro 5.0 base with a Steeda Tri-Ax handle for many years. I never liked the short stubby that Pro 5.0 used to have on the originals. Anything is better then stock. I know Barton seems to be the hot shifter right now, but for the money, I still like the Steeda, Pro 5.0.

Keep the clutch unless it's worn out, or you getting ready to toss a significant amount of power to it.

Don't waste your time with anything less than a 3.55 if your all N/A, all motor. 3.73's work really nice unless you like to do 80 on the freeway daily.

If your going to replace the trim, wait until after it's painted. Of course that's assuming your going to pull it all off before the paint job.

^^ Bingo :headbang:
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

That's some solid advice from Buddha. Personally, I think the Pro 5.0 is fantastic and I'm still using my stock clutch. I prefer 3.55s - a great ratio for a noticeable improvement in acceleration while not killing the ride on the highway. Whatever ring & pinion you choose, I'd recommend Ford Racing.

As for other good upgrades ... the sky's the limit with our Cobras, Vin! There's all sorts of great exhaust, suspension, and engine upgrades. How good is Santa going to be to you this year? Have you been naughty or nice? ;)
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Thanks Buddha for the info, and Z, been kinda 50/50 on Santa's list, but I may be leaning towards getting the shifter and gears
BLK on Leather
buddha

Post by buddha »

Those 2 items alone will make it a lot more fun to drive! BTW, just grab a set of Ford gears. Cheap and just as good as anything out there.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

Go with FMS 3:73s and you will be glad you did, make sure to pick a reputable shop for the install as well. LMR has decent trim, pick it up for X-Mas and like Buddha said - install after Paint...

On another note - what kind of quotes you getting for a repaint? Did you ever get a quote on doing a wet-sanding? You might be surprised how she turns out and hold off on a repaint.... Either way, glad to see another Cobra getting a face lift.

:headbang:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

One thing to keep in mind when changing rear gears - you need to calibrate your speedometer with the proper gear as well or your odometer reading will not be accurate.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

Z282SLO wrote:One thing to keep in mind when changing rear gears - you need to calibrate your speedometer with the proper gear as well or your odometer reading will not be accurate.
Good point, counselor... For such an easy fix - soooo many people either don't know or don't bother to correct the speedo-gear. :nono:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

select the gear ratio on your type of driving , id go the 3.73 but if you do a lot of highway driving since its your DD you might want to stick with the 3.55. typically when someone goes with 3.55 they get used to them , then want 3.73s. maybe you could find some mustang guys in your area that will let you test drive or ride to see what you like?
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Thanks again for the info guys, good point on the wet sanding, might be a good option, as far as gears, leaning towards 3:55, but I thought you didn't have to adjust the speedo with 3 :55, but if so what do I need to do to calibrate it?
BLK on Leather
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

vinchez78 wrote:Thanks again for the info guys, good point on the wet sanding, might be a good option, as far as gears, leaning towards 3:55, but I thought you didn't have to adjust the speedo with 3 :55, but if so what do I need to do to calibrate it?
I know summit shows what color speedo gears go with what gear ratio. Try google and a chart should come up.....
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Romo93 wrote:
vinchez78 wrote:Thanks again for the info guys, good point on the wet sanding, might be a good option, as far as gears, leaning towards 3:55, but I thought you didn't have to adjust the speedo with 3 :55, but if so what do I need to do to calibrate it?
I know summit shows what color speedo gears go with what gear ratio. Try google and a chart should come up.....
Thanks romophobe
BLK on Leather
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

I have a question about the gears. At what ratio do you have to change the plastic gear that is in the tail section of the tranny, on the output shaft? I had to for the 4.10's. There are two different plastic gears, one is easy to change. the other is kind of a pain (for a butcher anyway). Something to think about Vin. I'm just not sure at which ratio the gear needs to be changed.
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
psucobra

Post by psucobra »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. For 3.55 gears I believe you will need a 20T speedo gear with a 7T drive gear. The speedo will still be off a tad, but this is the closest you can get without having a custom speedometer reduction box made. The problem is the stock Cobra tranny has an 8T drive gear. So you have to drop the tranny, remove the tail shaft and replace the drive gear. It sounds harder than it really is. The last time I did one, I ordered up an aluminum drive shaft and replaced it at the same time since it was off.