Front tire rub on control arm

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
93svt#4558

Front tire rub on control arm

Post by 93svt#4558 »

Hi guys,

I'm the new owner of #4558. This is my first 93 to own and I'm pretty excited about it.

The front tires are rubbing when turned all the way to the left or right. I believe they a are hitting the control arm. Is this common? If so, is there a fix?

I tried to search this topic first but was unsuccessful. Thanks for any input. :beer:
1993cobra
Site Admin

Re: Front tire rub on control arm

Post by 1993cobra »

what size tires? also if it has non-cobra rotors with original cobra wheels the wheels will be set in closer and could rub.
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

They may have replaced the rack and pinion with the wrong one if you have the correct tire size on the car.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

cant remember does the spindle stop against the lower control arm?
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

1993cobra wrote:cant remember does the spindle stop against the lower control arm?
The turning radius is contolled by the rack, that's why there is 2 options on how many turns there is each way. The cobra is 2 1/4 verse 2 3/4 if I remember correct.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

If your issue is part of the wheel hitting the control arm, then it wouldn't be the rubber that it was hitting, it would be the aluminum wheel itself. That would be easy enough to see if its scarring into it. You might also check near the lip of the Inner Fender Cover. When I was pulling the suspension off of mine these past few weeks I noticed it had some light scarring.

Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

1993cobra wrote:cant remember does the spindle stop against the lower control arm?
Yes... It has about an inch or so from the top of the control arm to the bottom of the spindle where the ball joint connects the two.
Cobra #11

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

I almost forgot... Welcome to the group!
Cobra #11

1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

the must know the tire is gonin to rub , because i think there is a extra patch of metal welded on the control ar in the contact area, also the car i looked at had a little rub
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

Do you have the factory stock rims on the car? If the car had aftermarket rims and GT rotors and now has the stock rims on again they would rub due to the smaller "hat" on the gt rotors.... Something to look into..

And welcome to the website :headbang:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
93svt#4558

Post by 93svt#4558 »

The car is actually at the shop right now. I picked it up Tuesday and tried to get it inspected but it failed emissions. Now it's back at the shop for a catted Bassani xpipe. I will have to check the tire size but I want to say they are factory but will confirm. I did just have the rack and pinion replaced since the original was leaking. I hope they put the correct one back on. It was rubbing before and after the new one went in. It may actually be the brake rotors. The tires do appear to set further in than most pictures I have seen of other Cobras. I hope to have it back the middle of next week and will confirm all information. Thanks for all the input.

Happy Thanksgiving
93svt#4558

Post by 93svt#4558 »

1993cobra wrote:the must know the tire is gonin to rub , because i think there is a extra patch of metal welded on the control ar in the contact area, also the car i looked at had a little rub

I think that is where mine is rubbing too.