Failed Emissions Test

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
93svt#4558

Failed Emissions Test

Post by 93svt#4558 »

Hi all. I live in Texas and we have emissions testing. I can't seem to pass the CO part. My Cobra has a supercharger and it does have cats on the car. Not sure what to fix so I can pass. Any suggestions?
buddha

Re: Failed Emissions Test

Post by buddha »

Put cats on it with the air pump is the obvious answer.

Is it an actual rolls test?
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
93svt#4558

Post by 93svt#4558 »

buddha wrote:Put cats on it with the air pump is the obvious answer.

Air pump? The car had cats on it when tested. We're required to be around .69 and I was at 1.08 CO. It is a roll test on a Dyno. The do it at 15 mph and 25 mph.
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

If the cats are original, they may need to be replaced. Especially if they have some miles on them. I think cats can wear out.
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
93svt#4558

Post by 93svt#4558 »

93svt#2779 wrote:If the cats are original, they may need to be replaced. Especially if they have some miles on them. I think cats can wear out.
The pipe is actually new. It's a bassani xpipe with cats. When I bought it there was an off-road bbk xpipe on it.
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

93svt#4558 wrote:
93svt#2779 wrote:If the cats are original, they may need to be replaced. Especially if they have some miles on them. I think cats can wear out.
The pipe is actually new. It's a bassani xpipe with cats. When I bought it there was an off-road bbk xpipe on it.
Well it was a thought anyway. I've heard that if the car is not up to temp or cold, that it can cause high readings since the fuel doesn't ignite properly then, but I really am not sure. I wish you luck... emissions sucks!
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

CO failures are usually the result of a car running too rich, which also happens a lot with supercharged cars. You should check the operation of the O2 sensor and check the air/fuel mixture. One other problem is the shop is likely running a program for a stock motor and your modified engine is reading differently.

Also, TX has a 5000 mile/yr low mileage waiver. If your Cobra is not a daily driver, maybe it will qualify for the waiver.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
buddha

Post by buddha »

93svt#4558 wrote:

Air pump? The car had cats on it when tested. We're required to be around .69 and I was at 1.08 CO. It is a roll test on a Dyno. The do it at 15 mph and 25 mph.
Smog pump.........whatever you want to call it. Needs to be there for cat longevity. Most don't last long without.

What are you using to tune the car with? My red car was cleaner a fresh stroker motor/blower combo than it was with the 100k stocker in it. It's all about the tune.

Like it was mentioned, make sure the car is up too temp. Don't use one of those ultra cold t-stats either. Stock 190 is fine.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

like budda said , make sure you have a smog pump and all the parts, also check the air filter, and pcv valve and system. Or, im in texas and our county doesnt have emissions test. if you go to a non emissions county you can get inspected , if you sign a form saying your living there because of school or work for more than 6 months.
93svt#4558

Post by 93svt#4558 »

93svt#2779 wrote:
93svt#4558 wrote:
Well it was a thought anyway. I've heard that if the car is not up to temp or cold, that it can cause high readings since the fuel doesn't ignite properly then, but I really am not sure. I wish you luck... emissions sucks!
I adjusted the electric fan temp so it would warm up. The temp was about half way when I had it tested. Thanks, I think I'm going to need luck to pass.
93svt#4558

Post by 93svt#4558 »

Z282SLO wrote:CO failures are usually the result of a car running too rich, which also happens a lot with supercharged cars. You should check the operation of the O2 sensor and check the air/fuel mixture. One other problem is the shop is likely running a program for a stock motor and your modified engine is reading differently.

Also, TX has a 5000 mile/yr low mileage waiver. If your Cobra is not a daily driver, maybe it will qualify for the waiver.

I had one o2 sensor changed out when the xpipe was put on. I'll change out the other one. I think you're right on running rich. It's not my daily driver so I'll look into the exemption. I wasn't aware of that.
93svt#4558

Post by 93svt#4558 »

buddha wrote:
93svt#4558 wrote:

Smog pump.........whatever you want to call it. Needs to be there for cat longevity. Most don't last long without.

What are you using to tune the car with? My red car was cleaner a fresh stroker motor/blower combo than it was with the 100k stocker in it. It's all about the tune.

Like it was mentioned, make sure the car is up too temp. Don't use one of those ultra cold t-stats either. Stock 190 is fine.

I'll check to see if it has a smog/air pump on it. I think the car has a FMU and chip? Not sure it's tunable. I may need to see what can be done to get it tunable. I'm learning these cars all over again. Been a long time since I've had one.
93svt#4558

Post by 93svt#4558 »

1993cobra wrote:like budda said , make sure you have a smog pump and all the parts, also check the air filter, and pcv valve and system. Or, im in texas and our county doesnt have emissions test. if you go to a non emissions county you can get inspected , if you sign a form saying your living there because of school or work for more than 6 months.
I'm going to clean the filter before my next try. I'll check those other parts too. Thanks for all the input guys.
Georgia Snake

Post by Georgia Snake »

Glad I live someplace that doesn't do all that testing

The Snake

408lx

Post by 408lx »

To get my 408 to pass I use this recipe. Four gallons premium feul mixed with 600ml of gasoline antifreeze. Raise the idle to no more than 1250rpm. Tps at.98v. Fresh oil change. Bring it there nice and hot, and just before the test pull the spout on the distributor.
92 GT white on grey leather
89 LX notch black on grey 408ci efi
93 Cobra red on leather #468