Ashtray door repair

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Powers33

Ashtray door repair

Post by Powers33 »

My ashtray door leans when I open it . Last owner said it was not broken, he was wrong . The plastic peace attached to lighter portion is broken off and looks like someone else tried to weld one on from the inside. Anyway does anyone know of a way to fix this without drilling a hole and putting a bolt in it that you can see from the astray compartment? Does anyone sell these oem replacements? Help
93 teal / black #1758 36k
Light crustal blue /black lx ( sold )
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Re: Ashtray door repair

Post by vinchez78 »

LMR has a kit and installation video is on their site, easy fix
BLK on Leather
Powers33

Post by Powers33 »

vinchez78 wrote:LMR has a kit and installation video is on their site, easy fix
That is the one that involves the screw on the inside of the lighter box.
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

I think your better off buying a used opal grey ash tray door. Just make sure your lighter wire harness is installed and mounted in the correct direction. That is what ends up breaking these things.
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
Powers33

Post by Powers33 »

POOBLAH wrote:I think your better off buying a used opal grey ash tray door. Just make sure your lighter wire harness is installed and mounted in the correct direction. That is what ends up breaking these things.
Ok guys my black astray door is fine the spring is fine it is all in good condition except pivot point shaft that is part of the lighter box, and if I drill that and put the screw the late model resto kit provides the head of that screw will be showing when I open the ashtray lid
Powers33

Post by Powers33 »

Powers33 wrote:
POOBLAH wrote:I think your better off buying a used opal grey ash tray door. Just make sure your lighter wire harness is installed and mounted in the correct direction. That is what ends up breaking these things.
Ok guys my black astray door is fine the spring is fine it is all in good condition except pivot point shaft that is part of the lighter box, and if I drill that and put the screw the late model resto kit provides the head of that screw will be showing when I open the ashtray lid
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Powers33 wrote:

AH okay....

You can fix it without the screw head stuffing through, but its a real bitch.

Take one of those press pins (the hollowed out pins with a slit down the middle), get your center of line where the old plastic nub stuck out and with a soldering iron, heat the other end while pressing slightly at the same time. It shouldn't take too much to get it set.

Saying how to do it within two sentences doesn't do it justice! You might practice on a beat up one from a Junkyard first. Best of luck!
Cobra #11

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
Powers33

Post by Powers33 »

What is a press pin? And do I heat the side touching the plastic first or using the spidering iron heat it from the outside end until it sinks in?
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

I dont know the official term for a press pin, try your local hardware store. Look for something that is a small hollowed out cylinder with a slit that runs down it. You press them in but because they have the slit down the middle that provides enough give to be punched out later if needed. Try and put your heat on the farther side and let the whole pin heat up enough to start biting into the plastic. This whole thing WONT be easy, but its something to try.
Cobra #11

Powers33

Post by Powers33 »

POOBLAH wrote:I dont know the official term for a press pin, try your local hardware store. Look for something that is a small hollowed out cylinder with a slit that runs down it. You press them in but because they have the slit down the middle that provides enough give to be punched out later if needed. Try and put your heat on the farther side and let the whole pin heat up enough to start biting into the plastic. This whole thing WONT be easy, but its something to try.
Thanks bro
Powers33

Post by Powers33 »

The role pin and sauder gun worked. Nerve racking and complicated but worth it. You need 3 hands haha
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Glad to hear it!!! Awesome job. :-)
Cobra #11

escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Post by escogt »

POOBLAH wrote:Glad to hear it!!! Awesome job. :-)
X2!!
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.