New clutch chatters

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
1986Browns

Re: New clutch chatters

Post by 1986Browns »

I had all kinds of chatter when I put a Spec 3+ in my Terminator, but I knew I would for the first thousand miles or so of break in. After about 800 miles the chatter went away and the clutch just GRABBED! Granted the 3+ is a clutch designed to handle a lot more power than the Exedy you had installed.

IMO, unless you've got some 8 million horsepower beast...there's no reason not to just put a Ford Racing King Cobra clutch kit in a Foxbody and call it a day. There's a reason why the KC clutch kit has been around for so long and still sells well after all these years.
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

1986Browns wrote: IMO, unless you've got some 8 million horsepower beast...there's no reason not to just put a Ford Racing King Cobra clutch kit in a Foxbody and call it a day. There's a reason why the KC clutch kit has been around for so long and still sells well after all these years.

thats what i was getting at in the third post,
1986Browns

Post by 1986Browns »

1993cobra wrote:
1986Browns wrote: IMO, unless you've got some 8 million horsepower beast...there's no reason not to just put a Ford Racing King Cobra clutch kit in a Foxbody and call it a day. There's a reason why the KC clutch kit has been around for so long and still sells well after all these years.

thats what i was getting at in the third post,
Glad we agree then.

pete3323

Post by pete3323 »

I'm not planning on a ton of HP. That's why I chose a stage one which was promoted as being for slightly modded and daily driven cars with OEM like drivability. I had a KC on my '98 and I wasn't crazy about it so I thought I'd give this a try. Oh, and I still haven't heard back from the shop owner :pissed:
'98 White terminated Cobra
'93 Black Cobra #4831
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

pete3323 wrote:I'm not planning on a ton of HP. That's why I chose a stage one which was promoted as being for slightly modded and daily driven cars with OEM like drivability. I had a KC on my '98 and I wasn't crazy about it so I thought I'd give this a try. Oh, and I still haven't heard back from the shop owner :pissed:
Remember that scene in Ferris Buelers day off when the valet parkers take the car for a "spin"? :mrgreen:
BLK on Leather
pete3323

Post by pete3323 »

Lol. I heard from owner at days end. He says the problem is the new cable. When ever he starts to drive it the cable will jump out of adjustment. Says it must be defective. He's going to put the old one back on today. We'll see.....
'93 Black Cobra #4831
pete3323

Post by pete3323 »

So here's the deal. Tried to use old cable. Determined new firewall bushing that came with the new cable was messed up (how did THAT happen?). Old cable won't work. Put aluminum bushing with adjuster in firewall using new cable (wasn't that defective?) and good to go. Still stiffer clutch than I was looking for but shifts are really smooth. Tiny bit of chatter on takeoff but Exedy says that is normal and will go away during break in. Thinking that over time (except in traffic) it will grow on me. Bites really nice. Now just have to go ez for 750 miles. :( I won't be using that shop again that's for sure.
'93 Black Cobra #4831
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Is the oil leak stopped?
pete3323

Post by pete3323 »

Yes. All cleaned up and new rear main seal. Hopefully it will last....
'93 Black Cobra #4831
pete3323

Post by pete3323 »

One thing I forgot to mention. When I called Exedy I told them how American Muscle had promoted the Mach 350 clutch as "OEM like driveablilty". Exedy told me "that's a sports clutch and is stiffer then OEM. That's on American Muscle for promoting it like that. We have told them numerous times not to do it". So, not only is AM more than likely cherry picking only the good reviews of their products, they are also misrepresenting them. I'll be taking my business elsewhere.
'93 Black Cobra #4831
dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Post by dbrennancobra »

pete3323 wrote:One thing I forgot to mention. When I called Exedy I told them how American Muscle had promoted the Mach 350 clutch as "OEM like driveablilty". Exedy told me "that's a sports clutch and is stiffer then OEM. That's on American Muscle for promoting it like that. We have told them numerous times not to do it". So, not only is AM more than likely cherry picking only the good reviews of their products, they are also misrepresenting them. I'll be taking my business elsewhere.
American muscle hyperboils everything it seems!
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]