Raising cobra back up

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Ibjamn

Raising cobra back up

Post by Ibjamn »

Just bought a 93 Cobra. It's lowered and I want to raise it back up. Is there some where I can buy the springs new that would give me the same ride height of the originals? Or should I just goto the junk yard and get a set off a 93 GT hatchback. I know that some Cobras had 4cyl springs in the rear, was that for launching purposes? Or for stance? Or if someone here has a originsl set to sell?
Ideas and input are strongly appreciated!!!

Thanks a lot
DemoDH

Re: Raising cobra back up

Post by DemoDH »

"Rear springs were linear and the same rate as those used on the 4 cylinder Mustangs at 160 lb/in with a tag code of "HH". General part number is D9BZ-5560-M." that's right off this site.

I heard somewhere that the cobra had different suspension for a softer ride quality, which in turn provided better handling with the smaller sway bars. If your not to concerned with originality just get some performance suspension and set it at stock ride height, or get springs from the junkyard off the 4cyl for the rear and GT for the front. I doubt they would have vin tags. They are probably the same part number.

I hope this helps, I don't know much. and if your looking to buy a stock set, maybe the mods can move this to the parts for sale section.

Oh and if you just bought one, add it to the registry if its not already there. and show some pics!! :D
Last edited by DemoDH on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
#923 teal/grey cloth 165k- (SOLD)
#861 red/grey cloth 70k- Just purchased
92 Hatch blue/silver 150k- My first fox
2010 4runner family wagon- Haha
and a couple bikes
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Ibjamn wrote: I know that some Cobras had 4cyl springs in the rear, was that for launching purposes? Or for stance?
All '93 Cobras from the factory came with GT/LX 5.0 springs in the front and 4-cyl springs in the rear. This was done because SVT engineers wanted the Cobras' ride to be less stiff and harsh than the set-up used on the other models. Although this led to increased body roll in hard cornering, the '93 Cobras handled better overall than the GTs and LXs.

If you want yours to have the stock ride height, don't use GT springs on all 4 corners.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Ibjamn

Post by Ibjamn »

If I use 4cyl springs in the rear, will any added weight in the hatch cause the rear to sag? I was thinking that they put the 4cyl springs in the rear for weight distribution on take off, same way you set up a drag car ... Are the 5.0 convertible Front springs the same as the GT/LX front springs?
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

^^^
No offense, but a 235hp stock Cobra is no drag car! The use of the softer rear springs had nothing to do with issues on take-off. It was simply to improve the handling and ride quality over the GTs and LX 5.0s. You'll have no weight issues with the stock rear Cobra springs.

All GT and LX 5.0 equipped cars -- coupes, hatches and verts -- had the same springs at all 4 corners.

CORRECTION: All '87-'93 GT and LX 5.0 equipped cars -- coupes, hatches and verts -- had the same springs in the front (variable rate, 425-530 lb/in) and the same springs in the rear (variable rate, 200-300 lb/in).
03 COBRA Black with VMP
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

i have seen 93 cobras with different springs than most
1986Browns

Post by 1986Browns »

1993cobra wrote:i have seen 93 cobras with different springs than most
How many? 10, 20, 30? I can't imagine it would even be enough to worry about for the purposes of this thread.

OP, as already stated just go out and find some 4cyl springs for the rear and standard GT/LX 5.0 springs for the front. :beer:
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Post by escogt »

1986Browns wrote:
1993cobra wrote:i have seen 93 cobras with different springs than most
How many? 10, 20, 30? I can't imagine it would even be enough to worry about for the purposes of this thread.

OP, as already stated just go out and find some 4cyl springs for the rear and standard GT/LX 5.0 springs for the front. :beer:
Yup... :beer:
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

look at the spring codes on the door sticker not all are the same.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

^^^

I asked about this in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5941

I have only seen BOHH and BOJJ and I believe the vast majority of Cobras have BOHH on their door tags. Also, just because some Cobras may have rear springs designated as J rather than H, the springs themselves may have both been the constant rate 160 lb/in springs.

Anyone have more info?
03 COBRA Black with VMP