Headliner Issues

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
oldernu

Headliner Issues

Post by oldernu »

Just bought from CJ Pony, a headliner manufactured by TMI Industries with ABS Backboard. See link. Gentlemen it doesn't fit it is too narrow and the holes are wacko. Im Pissed because the professional I had doing the work had already began some trim on the piece consequently when the final fit wouldn't work I ended up with a $210 POS. Ill let you know in pictures when my man gets the comparisons done the final out come. Just be aware. Anyone else try this product?? We are now recovering the original backboard. I should have done that to start with I know!!

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-headline ... /p/HL30-V/
2nd owner 40 Chevy - myself and two sons came home from hospital in this car, One grandson and one grand-daughter have ridden in car.
1st owner 72 Cougar XR7 - first new car for wife and I
1st owner 1994 Bronco XLT - cant part with the gas hog for some reason
93 Teal Cobra just purchased 1-2014
1993cobra
Site Admin

Re: Headliner Issues

Post by 1993cobra »

oldernu wrote:We are now recovering the original backboard. I should have done that to start with I know!!

THIS^^^^

use search for headliner, i remember they werent the best

oh and maybe you need to rotate it 90 degrees lol
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

oldernu wrote:Just bought from CJ Pony, a headliner manufactured by TMI Industries with ABS Backboard. See link. Gentlemen it doesn't fit it is too narrow and the holes are wacko. Im Pissed because the professional I had doing the work had already began some trim on the piece consequently when the final fit wouldn't work I ended up with a $210 POS. Ill let you know in pictures when my man gets the comparisons done the final out come. Just be aware. Anyone else try this product?? We are now recovering the original backboard. I should have done that to start with I know!!

Are you re-doing the old one in cloth or vinyl?
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
oldernu

Post by oldernu »

We are going with cloth as original. Ill show a couple of pics next week of the whole mess. Kicking myself I didn't read enough on this site. Ill learn to trust you experts!!!! oldernu
2nd owner 40 Chevy - myself and two sons came home from hospital in this car, One grandson and one grand-daughter have ridden in car.
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

Yea I think Arron has had some issues with them in the past and said he just recovers the stock board now.
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

oldernu wrote:We are going with cloth as original. Ill show a couple of pics next week of the whole mess. Kicking myself I didn't read enough on this site. Ill learn to trust you experts!!!! oldernu
Are you sure that it was cloth originally? I thought the factory sunroofs all came with Vinyl
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

Yea sunroof cars were vinyl and non roof cars were cloth.
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

Speed, Ive actually never used the aftermarket board, I seen them at SEMA, and they look like Junk! I have always just recovered the original board.

Use wire wheel on a drill to remove the old foam off the board, clean the board good with a rag, then apply super trim adhesive to the board and headliner.

If your doing a sunroof car, DO NOT, cut the half circle portion of the board where the sun visors go, Just cut straight on side and the front. Other wise you will have Big hole on both sides.

I just did the one in the 30K mile black cloth car I am putting back together. However, I used cloth, I know it's not correct, but it looks Tons better, and last a lot longer than the Vinyl material does. .

If you need any tips just ask,
oldernu

Post by oldernu »

aaronlstiles wrote:Speed, Ive actually never used the aftermarket board, I seen them at SEMA, and they look like Junk! I have always just recovered the original board.

Use wire wheel on a drill to remove the old foam off the board, clean the board good with a rag, then apply super trim adhesive to the board and headliner.

If your doing a sunroof car, DO NOT, cut the half circle portion of the board where the sun visors go, Just cut straight on side and the front. Other wise you will have Big hole on both sides.

I just did the one in the 30K mile black cloth car I am putting back together. However, I used cloth, I know it's not correct, but it looks Tons better, and last a lot longer than the Vinyl material does. .

If you need any tips just ask,

You guys are amazing. I was just trying to replace what was there and it was cloth. The guy I bought it from didn't replace it according to him so it must have been redone over 12 years ago by the first owner. The things we learn from this site.. But with the mods already on my car Im not too worried a bout being original anyway... Thanks for the info gentlemen Always an expert on this site. oldernu!
oldernu

Post by oldernu »

I stand corrected and as usual you guys are spot on. My son just told me that the headliner was vinyl and it is now replaced with a cloth redo of the original board. I guess at my age you cant tell the difference in the two. It felt like cloth to me. I always thought vinyl was vinyl LOL!! The magic of technology. The son is supposed to email me the photos of the differences in the board Ill post as soon as I get my bitch email ready for CJ Pony.

Not looking for sympathy but I was recently diagnosed with RSD/CRPS which is a disease of the nervous system and I may have only a few more months of use of my right hand. I m trying to get the car finished so I can slam a few gears and attend the 50th before I lose complete use of the hand. Hopefully a miracle will happen and a remission will result from a nerve block sequence beginning next week. Ill save one of the blocks for the night before the Mustang event in Charlotte. I "WILL" drive it into the show and The Guinness parade.!!!LOL!! Sort of a grand finale and a salute to 69 years of great health and free style living. Do it while you can gentlemen.. and understand that someday there will be automatic only in your garage.. Oldernu
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

^^^

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with the treatment. I hope it all works out well for you at the Charlotte event.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
vortech xi

Post by vortech xi »

So who is the best place to get just the opal cloth to redo the headliner?
So glad I did not toss the original out after reading this.
93 Cobra #4886 Teal black sunroof
93 Cobra #1442 Teal grey leather sunroof
91 lx black/black sunroof (under construction for life)
03 svt euro focus-the daily (SOLD)
03 cobra "look a like" THE RACECAR
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

So I'm finally looking at redoing my headliner, but theres alot I'm not sure about.

According to a few threads here... the TMI board is garbage.

However I'm worried that my board is trashed as well. (See below)

I've got a DAMN close match for Color, Texture, and the fact that its Vinyl at a local fabric store. ($20 a yard)

What do you gentlemen think.. Should I reuse my board or buy one else where????

Is there any material or padding that should exists between the board and vinyl that I will also need to buy?

Cobra #11

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

the foam padding is made on the material
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Thats true for the cloth headliners, but is that also true for the vinyl?
Cobra #11