Clutch Recommendations

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Clutch Recommendations

Post by Z282SLO »

My 2014 Cobra project list includes a clutch replacement. Curious if anyone has some solid recommendations. I've heard nice things about the Ford Racing King Cobra clutch kit, but think this kit is better suited for stock or mildly modded Cobras.

I'm looking for a clutch built for a minimum of 400hp with the ability to withstand up to 525hp. I realize that high-performance clutches will be firmer than stock, but I'd prefer one that doesn't require a ridiculous amount of pedal effort.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Romo93

Re: Clutch Recommendations

Post by Romo93 »

On my list as well :smile:

:headbang:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

If your concerned about the pedal effort, and your not afraid of mods, you might be interested in installing a hydraulic clutch. I have seen them somewhere. I don't remember what the cost was on the set-up either. But it would ease your pedal with whatever clutch you choose to go with. I've actually been thinking that one day down the road I might add it to my car because whatever clutch is in my car now is one tough son of a gun!
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

I think this is what I saw before...

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/ite ... ersion-Kit
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Whatever clutch you go with... remember that the spot where the cable goes through the firewall is very susceptible to cracking and breakage. Esp as our cars get older.
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Go with the king cobra, Z
If, you just drive your car on the street and are not using a good sticky tire on the back and solid tranny. Your not going to be able to put that HP & torq to the ground anyways.

IMO, if you had a tremec trans (not sure if you do or not), and were using a tire such as a drag radial. I would recommend a centerforce dual friction... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctf-d ... /year/1993 . Also, would recommend a sfi steel fly wheel to add.
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

Can't really go wrong with the King Cobra. It will hold up and we don't put a ton of miles or "drag-strip" miles.... I noticed a drip from my rear main seal, even more of an excuse to take care of both at the same time.. :headbang:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
Powers33

Post by Powers33 »

I recently noticed my rear main seal leaking ( pissed me off because i only have 36K miles ) any way I decided to replace my clutch also with the stage 2 king cobra kit made by Valeo http://www.uprproducts.com/ford-mustang ... d-kit.html /the same people who made the original clutch. It states up to 600 HP capiable, and is the same pedal effort. I got mine from upr in a kit uith cable exctra ( i did not need the cable and other stuff but oh well) I will say order the ford racing throught bearing . there kit comes with a chinese one.
93 teal / black #1758 36k
Light crustal blue /black lx ( sold )
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Powers33 wrote:I recently noticed my rear main seal leaking ( pissed me off because i only have 36K miles ) any way I decided to replace my clutch also with the stage 2 king cobra kit made by Valeo http://www.uprproducts.com/ford-mustang ... d-kit.html /the same people who made the original clutch. It states up to 600 HP capiable, and is the same pedal effort. I got mine from upr in a kit uith cable exctra ( i did not need the cable and other stuff but oh well) I will say order the ford racing throught bearing . there kit comes with a chinese one.
If you have a rear main leak... make sure your PCV port is not clogged. Alot of times your front and rear seals will blow because of this issue on the 5.0's
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Just got my ride back from the performance shop. Went with a McLeod RST twin disc clutch and Fidanza billet aluminum flywheel. While they were in there, they also upgraded the throw out and pilot bearings with a Ford Racing throw out and Timken pilot bearing. What a difference over the stock parts! It's hard to believe, but this set-up can handle over 700hp, yet the engagement of the clutch couldn't be smoother and the pedal effort is ridiculously low! I can honestly say that in over 25 years I have not driven a Fox-body Mustang with a clutch as smooth and light as this before.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)