Rebuilding the transmission in my 1993 Cobra

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
351wlx

Rebuilding the transmission in my 1993 Cobra

Post by 351wlx »

Hello,

I am in the process of rebuilding the transmission in my 1993 Cobra, but noticed my T-5 repair manual is missing certain specs for the "1993 World Class Cobra Spec" transmission. My question is:

The input/output shaft bearing preload on a WC trans is .003 inches. Is it the same for a Cobra spec trans with the front tapered input/output bearing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Re: Rebuilding the transmission in my 1993 Cobra

Post by POOBLAH »

Well assuming I'm looking at the same part you are... according to the Ford Shop Manual, "Caution: Although zero end play is the ideal end play specification, a plus or minus .050mm (0.002 inch) is an acceptable tolerance. Do not overload the bearings with too thick a shim."

Just keep in mind the transmission will heat up when in use and everything will start to expand. I would think since the 0.003 was for a "WC" transmission that it should be the specs for the Cobra.
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."
Cobra18

Re: Rebuilding the transmission in my 1993 Cobra

Post by Cobra18 »

So is this bearing that you are referring to the bearing that is inside the end of the input shaft? If so I have a lot of play in the shaft. Do I just need to shim it up until there is 0 play?