Possible starter problem

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Re: Possible starter problem

Post by vinchez78 »

Well, had the guys of Advance auto parts hook up their machine to the cobra, it's the starter, had to get one ASAP and they didn't sell motorcraft ones n either auto zone or advanced, so I went with a NON manufactured starter from Tough One :cry: now off to install via YouTube video
BLK on Leather
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Post by escogt »

Probably a good idea to get a new Motorcraft battery too.
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Well no luck getting the starter off, my long tube headers are in the way of the top bolt of the starter, so I went for a second opinion at another Advance Auto, and ran the machine and everything checked out fine, all normal including the starter and battery, when I went to do diagnosis the first time guy just went by what he thought it was and me givin him the description of what's been doing so he just partially checked it on the machine and told me his 89 did the same thing, so at the second place they did a full one, so I think imma get my money back, could it be the solenoid going bad then?
BLK on Leather
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

are you positive the starter is bad? you sad you jumped it off to start it, how did they check the starter without removing it? are you sure the solenoid is good? doesnt the autozone machine only test the battery?
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

1993cobra wrote:are you positive the starter is bad? you sad you jumped it off to start it, how did they check the starter without removing it? are you sure the solenoid is good? doesnt the autozone machine only test the battery?
No I'm not positive the starter is bad, I'm not sure it is the starter now that's been checked the second time on the machine, the machine checks the starter, battery and alternator, I'm thinking it might be the solenoid, I replaced it more than two years ago, do they not last long? Jumpin it off, I meant by rolling down the hill and popping the clutch, not with jumper cables
BLK on Leather
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Well put it in neutral and jump across the solenoid see if the engine spins over.you can use two screwdrivers to do that and don't let the sparks scare you
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

1993cobra wrote:Well put it in neutral and jump across the solenoid see if the engine spins over.you can use two screwdrivers to do that and don't let the sparks scare you
Ya the guy from Advance told me bout that, so that's a way to see if the solenoid crapping out?
BLK on Leather
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

its just a way to bypass the solenoid, if it turns over when you jump it , then the starter is good, and the solenoid is bad.
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

Vin, that top bolt on the starter is always a bitch to get out. You can get it out with long tube headers on the car. Hopefully you don't need to replace as it does sound like a bad solenoid.
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Romo93 wrote:Vin, that top bolt on the starter is always a bitch to get out. You can get it out with long tube headers on the car. Hopefully you don't need to replace as it does sound like a bad solenoid.
Ya I'm hoping it isn't the starter, cuz to gain access to that top bolt is impossible because the header is in the the way of that access hole, I took the right front tire off, and still no luck, how long do solenoids last???
BLK on Leather
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

vinchez78 wrote:
Romo93 wrote:Vin, that top bolt on the starter is always a bitch to get out. You can get it out with long tube headers on the car. Hopefully you don't need to replace as it does sound like a bad solenoid.
Ya I'm hoping it isn't the starter, cuz to gain access to that top bolt is impossible because the header is in the the way of that access hole, I took the right front tire off, and still no luck, how long do solenoids last???
On your car? Apparently about two years.... :sadwave:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
POOBLAH
site grease monkey

Post by POOBLAH »

Make sure your starter solenoid has a proper ground against the firewall AND that the two mounting screws are not stripped.

If your starter is getting juice but not firing, hit it gently with a wrench. Sometimes you can loosen the bushings within the starter.
Cobra #11
Sunday driver in fair weather.

"Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."