strange front struts and noise

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
rooster6969

strange front struts and noise

Post by rooster6969 »

decided to update my front struts from the 25 year old originals on my 88gt this week.looked over my options for a week before deciding on strange 10 way adjustables from summit.got them yesterday and put them in last night.out on the first test drive I definitely coild notice the difference,with my car lowered if would bottom out on dips and such,i could tell these held steady.all seemed fine until I took the long way around the neighborhood to home.that is when the clunking started on sharp bumps in the road.i am a ford tech and the best way to explain it is it sound like bad sway bar links on newer vehicles that I regularly replace.Drivers side seemed the worst.get home,check everything and its all fine.Now I fire up google,Holy Cow!i checked reviews before on these struts but until you put "rattle" or "clunk with strange strut" in the title,nothing bad really comes up.This is a known problem,i guess,and especially with maximum motorsports camber plates(which I have)of course. :pat: long story short,shaft on strut is a little to small and I said to rattle in MM bearing,but these are said to be noisy inside of the stut themselves and transmit to the car.i shimmed some aluminum foil around shaft and tightened it with my super strength.also read that turning the struts up closer to the firm setting may help also.Got up this morning and left for the rattle drive to work and what I was going to do.seems to be about 95% gone :shock: this is only one drive so im not holding my breath.just sharing this info out there and wish I would have known this first,would have went with a different strut.my advice,save yourself a headache and stay away from these.
1993cobra
Site Admin

Re: strange front struts and noise

Post by 1993cobra »

Get someone to push up and down on the front while you look and listen
rooster6969

Post by rooster6969 »

I could feel it last night with one hand on the strut tower and the other moving the car up and down.is or was coming directly from the strut one way or another.I run into,more than a person would think,of bad new parts at work. :pissed: a person can run around in circles if you aren't careful.i know its internal to the strut and transferring through the mount which isn't a rubber mount.
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

I used the Tokico Illumina adjustables and have been quite happy. I wish I could get true OEM Tokico struts to have the car original, but that is a pipe dream after all these years.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

BrentE wrote:I used the Tokico Illumina adjustables and have been quite happy.
X2. A nice upgrade over stock.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)