Airbag code clearing & connector location in 1993 Mustang

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
BrentE

Airbag code clearing & connector location in 1993 Mustang

Post by BrentE »

I just received an answer from a Ford "master technician" on a paid advice website. It seems the connector that must be jumped / shorted is not under the glovebox in the 1993 model year. Here is his reply:

The connector is a 2-wire connector located under the passenger side of the instrument panel near the airbag monitor. It contains aa Tan/Red (TN/RD) wire and a Black (BK) wire. To clear the code , install a jumper wire between the two wires on the connector and hold the jumper in place until the tone generator (within the air bag monitor) sounds and goes off. The connector is right near the air bag module (blue box) and to access it you have to remove the radio. Ford does not offer a picture of it but if you follow the wires coming out of the module you should be able to find it.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
HMGARCIA

Re: Airbag code clearing & connector location in 1993 Mustan

Post by HMGARCIA »

This is good info. What caused the chime to begin ?

I removed everything from the engine bay to paint, including airbag sensors etc... My first test drive this weekend i noticed the chime. I have read that you can set off the airbag by messing with the module etc... Have you "jumped " the wire yet to reset code ?

Hector
# 4747 - Teal 93
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

if you painted everything, you may have lost the ground. the sensors need to be grounded to the radiator support and the paint could be insulating
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

HMGARCIA wrote:This is good info. What caused the chime to begin ?

I removed everything from the engine bay to paint, including airbag sensors etc... My first test drive this weekend i noticed the chime. I have read that you can set off the airbag by messing with the module etc... Have you "jumped " the wire yet to reset code ?

Hector
No, I have not had the time yet. I want to reinstall my stock stereo head unit and will do the reset when I do that. I have a list of things I want to do and that is on it... Just need to find the time! My code started after having the battery disconnected for a couple of days, not sure why that does it but it is a common issue from what I have read.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.