diagnosis?

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Doughrat19

diagnosis?

Post by Doughrat19 »

Alright so my power lock started acting up on my driver's side door the other day. It seems really labored and wouldn't always lock the door. If I hit it a couple of times it would eventually lock the door. Then it stopped working on the driver's side all together a few days later. To top it all off, it started working again just the other day. This is only the driver's side door, I had no issues with the passenger side door. My first thought was the door lock actuator but now that it started working again I have no idea. Was wondering if anyone else ever had this issue and might know what it is. I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before it happens again.

Thanks,

Matt
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!
1993cobra
Site Admin

Re: diagnosis?

Post by 1993cobra »

Replace the lock actuator
vuzikis

Post by vuzikis »

Before you replace the lock actuator check the passenger side door switch and see if it still acts up. If it does then its more than likely your actuator. If not then it’s more than likely your driver’s side door lock switch.
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

Try to lock the d.s door with the key, see if it is really hard, if so then the actuator is probably going bad. If not then the switch may be the problem.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Diagnosis - door lock actuator. Bought a new one from CJ Poney for $25. Watched the video they had which showed how to install it without having to drill out the old one and rivet the new one in place (they reused the original bracket by removing the actuator from it). Only problem was when I tested it, it wasn't getting the job done. Looked like it was laboring to move te mechanics. I sprayed some WD40 on the mechanical parts and then the actuator worked like a charm.

Matt
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!