Power window motors

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
BrentE

Power window motors

Post by BrentE »

Why do the replacement window motors come in high- and low-torque versions? Also, if changing from a stock original motor to a replacement high-torque, does the regulator need to be changed due to different power rating of the motor? These are probably stupid questions, but I have never swapped out a window motor before, and want to get it right.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
specracer

Re: Power window motors

Post by specracer »

I have used the motors from latemodel restoration. Worked perfectly. Changed nothing but the motor. While in there take the time to lubricate the regulator, slider, and door locks and handles.
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

I am still curious as to why the two types (low and high torque) exist in the aftermarket parts. Were the stock units considered underpowered or something? Or were there actually two types put in by Ford, maybe based on trim level or some other variable? What type, low or high torque, came stock in the 1993 a Mustang Cobra hatchback?
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

Do they ask for a previous part number or casting number, when ordering a new one? The motors are probably universal for several model cars through these years.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)