A/C

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Doughrat19

A/C

Post by Doughrat19 »

Need help with another diagnosis guys. So I took the cobra out last weekend and had the A/C running. Other then taking a little while to get pretty cold (which has been like that since I got the car about 3 years ago), it was running fine. I was doing a few errands so I was turning the car off and parking it for a little bit here and there. Well one minutes the air is working fine, then the next minute when I start the car up and turn the A/C on it just blows hot air and never seems to get cold. Any ideas what the problem is? I figured it wasn't just that it needed a charge because it was like flipping a switch, one minute it was blowing cold air and the next it was blowing hot. Again, it didn't happen while the car was running, I noticed it after I turned the car off an then back on.
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!
WillyB93

Re: A/C

Post by WillyB93 »

May be a switch on the A/C or the orifice filter needs changed, or clogged up.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Based on your description, it's definitely not the blower motor and it is unlikely to be a freon leak. Although you mention that for as long as you've had it, it's been slow to cool which may have indicated it could have needed a fresh charge of freon (and may have finally just run out).

More likely, it sounds like your A/C compressor may need replacing. To see if the compressor is the problem, check to see if it engages when the car is running and you turn the A/C on. If the compressor clutch does not spin when you turn the A/C on, that's your problem. Good luck.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

That happened to me once. It turned out that the center of the A/C clutch broke free from the hub, the rubber that allows it to flex split so the clutch was engaged, but not turning the compressor. I got a new clutch hub off of ebay and it was a simple fix. With the A/C on, see if the compressor is turning.

-MJS
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

I have had the same problem as mike a couple of times. Also sometimes the low pressure cutoff switch will go bad . It is the two wire switch on the a/c dryer in the right rear corner of the engine compartment.
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

ok, so I went out to the car to take a look and I'm no mechanic but this doesn't look good to me...

ImageCompressor by Doughrat19, on Flickr

ImageCompressor by Doughrat19, on Flickr

Any suggestions? If I have to replace it, does anyone know where I can get an OEM replacement?

Thanks,

Matt
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Is this what you guys were referring to below about the rubber splitting?
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

and would this be the correct replacement part?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Compressor- ... 55&vxp=mtr

Thanks,

Matt
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

That's what mike was telling you , its probably still available from Ford . I think the last one I bought was like 30.00 remove the nut in the middle take a pair of flat head screwdrivers and pry it off the compressor repce with new one.
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Just checked Ford has discontinued that part
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

thanks, I found a motorcraft one that I am gonna order on ebay for $27. Thanks again, I appreciate all the help!

Natt
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

8)

-MJS
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Part finally arrived today! Question, is it typical for the clutch to engage and disengage while the A/C is running? I never really paid attention to it before. My assumption was it would stay engaged the whole time you have the A/C running but that isn't what I'm seeing now.

Matt
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

if its low on freon it will cycle more often . sitting at idle it should run pretty much all the time.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Normally, the compressor clutch is engaged when the A/C is turned on and remains engaged while the A/C is running. When certain malfunctions occur, high-pressure or low-pressure cutout switches in the A/C system will shut off the compressor to prevent damage. You mentioned that your A/C system took awhile to get cold, and if your system is low on refrigerant, this could cause the low-pressure cutout to switch off the compressor even with the A/C on. A diagnostic check of your A/C system is your best bet to determine why the clutch is engaging and disengaging.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)