Need to rebuild or buy another t5

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Romo93

Need to rebuild or buy another t5

Post by Romo93 »

I'm getting a scratch when shifting into second gear. Seems to do it more when cold. If I get on it a little and try and shift into second from a higher RPM - it will scratch / grind as well. Not every time but, needs attention.

I love working on my own cars but, never did anything transmission related except for changing them out.

Wondering if I'm better off getting another trans or having the original rebuilt. Does anyone know what $$$$ I'm looking at?

Will also be doing the clutch while I'm at it. Lets hear some ideas on clutches as well that will hold up to 500 or so HP.

Kyle :headbang:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Need to rebuild or buy another t5

Post by Z282SLO »

I did a clutch/flywheel upgrade last year -

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6970
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
noac

Post by noac »

I'd buy the Ford Racing T5z...better ratios and 7 tooth gear. Save you original and have Hanlon rebuild it.
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

Romo93 wrote:I'm getting a scratch when shifting into second gear. Seems to do it more when cold. If I get on it a little and try and shift into second from a higher RPM - it will scratch / grind as well. Not every time but, needs attention.

I love working on my own cars but, never did anything transmission related except for changing them out.

Wondering if I'm better off getting another trans or having the original rebuilt. Does anyone know what $$$$ I'm looking at?

Will also be doing the clutch while I'm at it. Lets hear some ideas on clutches as well that will hold up to 500 or so HP.

Kyle :headbang:
Most the time the synchronizers go out in the t-5, the new technology has better adapted the gears and synchronizers together. There are several guys around here that used to build them transmissions at the local factory before it closed down. Might be best to rebuild or replace with a better version, or just do an upgrade to a t-56 with the power you are putting down. Plus the upgrade will help you out in the MPG area, cause the t-56 has lower final drive. There is a local shop that does alot of transmission work on race cars and street cars. Here is the link to them: http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

Thanks WillyB93, Noac and Zzzzzzz...

Time to start researching
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
RDLINE1

Post by RDLINE1 »

I know this is a late response, but I ran the T-5z and it was a good tranny, ran it for 4 years, last Aug I installed a GForce Street T-5. It was grand over the T-5z and worth every penny. I can't shift that thing fast enough! :drinks:
# 4218