Camshaft selection

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
tgaines

Camshaft selection

Post by tgaines »

I am looking into rebuilding my old tired block and was wondering if there was a cam selection that you guys prefer for a 302 that will still give smooth idle, work with the 1:7 rockers and give a boost in power. This is not a race motor. I just am looking for a boost in performance that I can enjoy on the weekends in my cobra.
93Cobra#2771

Re: Camshaft selection

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

tgaines wrote:I am looking into rebuilding my old tired block and was wondering if there was a cam selection that you guys prefer for a 302 that will still give smooth idle, work with the 1:7 rockers and give a boost in power. This is not a race motor. I just am looking for a boost in performance that I can enjoy on the weekends in my cobra.
I would look at a mild cam for your needs. You can get one that sounds awesome, but isn't any fun to drive on the street.

Get your list of mods together and then call one of the reputable cam suppliers, or possibly look at doing a custom cam if you have enough other mods to warrant it. I would recommend Buddy Rawls for a custom cam if you go that route.
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy
1986Browns

Post by 1986Browns »

Of the old school Motorsport alphabet cams (B, E, & F)...which one best suits/unlocks the potential of a stock '93 Cobra longblock in a street car?
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

1986Browns wrote:Of the old school Motorsport alphabet cams (B, E, & F)...which one best suits/unlocks the potential of a stock '93 Cobra longblock in a street car?
E cam was by far the most popular. I've had both B and E and I like the B better, a little more aggressive sounding. The F cam is more of a blower cam....
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
93Cobra#2771

Post by 93Cobra#2771 »

The ecam was an immensely popular cam, with pretty good street manners and a decent lick to it. It's also a 20 year old cam grind.

There are plenty of more modern cam grinds out there with even better street manners that will make better power.

B cam is even older than e. F cam was a blower cam.

Oh, and don't take ANYONE's word about p to v clearance. Put it together and check the clearance. Period.
Window Sticker Reproduction Guy