93 Cobra taillight lenses -Ford Tooling & PAINTED STRIPES

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
BrentE

Re: 93 Cobra taillight lenses -Ford Tooling & PAINTED STRIPE

Post by BrentE »

tjsbeer wrote:The good news is my card was never charged for the lenses.
Have you received a notice that yours are on the way?
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
tjsbeer

Post by tjsbeer »

BrentE wrote:
I cancelled the order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Current Roster:
#3551 Teal/Grey Cloth
1987 Buick Grand National
1987 Porsche 911 Targa
1995 Porsche 911 Coupe

Sold/Traded Away:
1989 LX 5.0
1986 Porsche 951
1976 Corvette T-Tops w/Air
1974 Corvette Convertible w/Air
1969 Corvette Big Block w/Air
1992 Mercedes 500E
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

tjsbeer wrote:
BrentE wrote:
I cancelled the order.

Understand, I'll get some photos up once I have mine and you can see what they are about.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
BrentE

NOW I AM MAD

Post by BrentE »

Bad news! I received the lenses last night, and they are the same Daniel Carpenter units with the shitty tape stripes including the stupid one that is too long and goes over the area with the light bulb. I am seriously bummed out and pissed off. Waited forever for the pieces of shit and they sent me the same crap I could get overnight from a US dealer. Why in the fucks does Daniel Carpenter, who makes a lot of good stuff, even make these fucked up pieces of shit with the shitty fucking tape? What Cobra owner would put these cheesy pieces of fucksnot on his beloved Cobra, anyway?
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Re: NOW I AM MAD

Post by escogt »

BrentE wrote:Bad news! I received the lenses last night, and they are the same Daniel Carpenter units with the shitty tape stripes including the stupid one that is too long and goes over the area with the light bulb. I am seriously bummed out and pissed off. Waited forever for the pieces of shit and they sent me the same crap I could get overnight from a US dealer. Why in the fucks does Daniel Carpenter, who makes a lot of good stuff, even make these fucked up pieces of shit with the shitty fucking tape? What Cobra owner would put these cheesy pieces of fucksnot on his beloved Cobra, anyway?
You've got to be kidding me??? Unfuckingreal!!! Ugh...
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Z282SLO wrote:^^^
Uh oh. Were these lenses too good to be true?
Sorry to see my question was correct.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

Well, Joel at the vendor sent me an email. He is contacting Daniel Carpenter to find out what is up. He seems confident that they have been selling painted ones before and that this is some sort of mixup. I will let you guys know what he finds out when he tells me. It looks like they are going to be honorable about this anyway (of course I have a couple of emails where he assures me that they have lenses with painted stripes, so it would be pretty hard to weasel).
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

Z282SLO wrote:
Z282SLO wrote:^^^
Uh oh. Were these lenses too good to be true?
Sorry to see my question was correct.
Me too... man I was fucking hot when I opened the package and saw the taped lines, even so bad as to see they had bubbles in the tape. I am a bit calmer today but it still annoys me. Why doesn't a company like Carpenter do the things the right way? If Ford could do it, they should be able to.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

BrentE wrote:Me too... man I was fucking hot when I opened the package and saw the taped lines, even so bad as to see they had bubbles in the tape. I am a bit calmer today but it still annoys me. Why doesn't a company like Carpenter do the things the right way? If Ford could do it, they should be able to.
Totally agree. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. Good luck with everything. Hopefully this works out for you.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

Z282SLO wrote:
BrentE wrote:Me too... man I was fucking hot when I opened the package and saw the taped lines, even so bad as to see they had bubbles in the tape. I am a bit calmer today but it still annoys me. Why doesn't a company like Carpenter do the things the right way? If Ford could do it, they should be able to.
Totally agree. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. Good luck with everything. Hopefully this works out for you.
Ideally, they would send me some painted lenses. I sort of doubt that now. At least they can refund my money, but if that doesn't happen it will be irritating but not a catastrophe or anything. I'm at the stage of my life where a couple of hundred bucks won't kill me. The biggest disappointment will be that I still can't get a decent set of repro lenses!
tjsbeer

Post by tjsbeer »

That's horrible Brent. Can't believe they're charging that much for that poor of quality.

Current Roster:
#3551 Teal/Grey Cloth
1987 Buick Grand National
1987 Porsche 911 Targa
1995 Porsche 911 Coupe

Sold/Traded Away:
1989 LX 5.0
1986 Porsche 951
1976 Corvette T-Tops w/Air
1974 Corvette Convertible w/Air
1969 Corvette Big Block w/Air
1992 Mercedes 500E
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

tjsbeer wrote:That's horrible Brent. Can't believe they're charging that much for that poor of quality.

Yeah. To be fair to the shop, they seem like they honestly thought they were selling me painted lenses, and the guy responded right away when I sent him an email that what I got was the same crap that almost all of the shops have. We'll see what comes of it, hopefully the guy really has a line on lenses with the painted stripes and I will get them. If not, I think I will get my money back at least, the guy seems honorable enough.

I have a couple of lenses on the car right now that I re-did myself, and they look OK, but if you inspect closely, you can tell they are not factory. I have my originals in storage so I guess I could mask those off & repaint (the stripes faded just a bit from the California sun). I was just really hoping for a good alternative.
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

DC has never sold lenses with painted stripes,

If you want them painted on, just leave the cheap tape stripes on, tape off the lenses, once you have that done, just remove the cheap take stripe and paint the lense.

I use Ford Charcoal trim paint, the process takes about 30 MIN, per lense, do not put the paint on heavy as the paint DC uses sometimes cause the paint to curl.
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

bill1024

Post by bill1024 »

I think I will give this a try. One question, how do you remove the lenses?
Is there an access in the trunk to get to screws holding the lenses in place?