Question about MAF sensors

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
BrentE

Question about MAF sensors

Post by BrentE »

I have read conflicting information about MAF sensors and wonder if anyone has first hand experience. One article I read said that aftermarket MAF sensors are worthless, as the sensor really does not have much functionality other than checking the temperature to see drops associated with airflow. It said that as long as it measured that accurately, the computer does all the real work. Other things I see claim better performance from new aftermarket MAF sensors that are "calibrated" for a specific engine. The manufacturers claim power gains and better engine responsiveness. Has anyone swapped out a properly functioning MAF sensor for an aftermarket part? What was the effect? Are any of the specific brands better than the others? Mine is original, and after a cleaning the engine did run better. I am curious to know if a more modern unit would give any power gains or other advantages, or not.
Last edited by BrentE on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
BrentE

Re: Question about MAF sensors

Post by BrentE »

Nobody has experience with the aftermarket MAF sensors? Any help is appreciated...
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
sc-rcode

Post by sc-rcode »

Brent,I have only swapped out maf sensors when they have either went bad or when having done major mods so I can't tell you if an aftermarket is much better than stock.I do usually use pro-m meters and have had good experiences with the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

On a stock engine you're not going to notice a difference. Now, if you were to add some after-market parts that would require you to need more fuel, changing out the stock meter would add some HP and work better with the additional HP.

I bet if you added a nice cold air kit, bigger meter as well as a bigger throttle body, you might see a couple HP.

:headbang:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Romo93 wrote:On a stock engine you're not going to notice a difference. Now, if you were to add some after-market parts that would require you to need more fuel, changing out the stock meter would add some HP and work better with the additional HP.
X2.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

Thanks! Sounds like it would be a waste for me.
BLOWNVENOM

Post by BLOWNVENOM »

Stick W PRO M ... actually if its bone stock a Cold air Kit with an A9L and 75 Bullet is a nice lil kick .