Stock Fuel System questions/help

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
SVT4942

Stock Fuel System questions/help

Post by SVT4942 »

I'm still in the process of rebuilding mine. Finally drove it for the first time while taking it to storage. Car idles perfectly fine. When I hit about 59-61mph, the engine seemed to lose power. So I kept it about 58mph and it would drive fine.

What am I looking at? New fuel pump, fuel filter? I have stock fuel injectors etc. Not looking at anything high performance, I just want as stock as I can get.
I'm getting a new gasket for the fuel sending unit, that leaks fuel as well when I fill her up.

What brand do you all recommend and who I shop through? I've been out of the loop for a while and I like shopping through LMR.
19 Shelby GT350 Ford Performance Blue
93 EY/C6 13C #12
93 RD/DJ #2304
93 RD/DJ 13C #2651 w/ #1138’s (RD/DJ) Drivetrain
93 RD/DJ 13C #4942
SVT4942

Re: Stock Fuel System questions/help

Post by SVT4942 »

Nobody has nothing? I live up in Northern NY where there is no dyno or Mustang shop. This is basically throwing at a dart board and I don't feel like investing hundreds and getting no where.
Fuel pump? Size? Make?
Fuel filter? Yes
Distributer contact inside?

I'll give it a shot to start somewhere.

What causes a 5.0 to lose power around 60mph but still idles and runs fine at low mph?
93 EY/C6 13C #12
93 RD/DJ #2304
93 RD/DJ 13C #4942
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

Start simple:

Run some Seafoam in the tank to clean out the system and change your filter. Both easy and cheap.
'11 GT500 FR750 2.9 Whipple, '04 Mystichrome Terminator vert, '02 Mustang GT, 00R, '93 Cobra #1447, '89 Mustang GT vert.

sc-rcode

Post by sc-rcode »

LMR is great,do like goose said change filter see if any change.You can also test your fp with hooking a gauge up to it to see if the pump is keeping up.When is the last time it had a tune up? Any miss at any rpm's? What is the timing set at? Is there any other symptoms that you are noticing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buddha

Post by buddha »

What does it do when you in say 2nd or 3rd and wind it out? Does it loose power here as well?
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
SVT4942

Post by SVT4942 »

Great help guys. I'll pull it out of storage this weekend, but expected one last snow storm here in Northern NY.
I'll start with Seafoam and fuel filter. Good call.
I'll see what I can do about the fuel pump.
Never been tuned. Yes, this could be a root cause. But I'm trying process of elimination.
No miss at RPM.
Unsure what the timing is set at. I had it rebuilt in FL by a reputable mustang builder. Will get a timing gun to see. What do you recommend for bone stock?
No other symptoms I'm noticing.
Nice idle, starts every time.
Buddha, When I pull it out of storage, I'm going to try the 2nd and 3rd and see what I get.

Guys, thank you. I have homework now. I'm military and as Speedfreak knows, I move and deploy a LOT. I deploy in less than 10 months again so I'd like to make progress this summer.
I will post results to all this when I pull her out and knock this list out.

Thanks again guys.
93 EY/C6 13C #12
93 RD/DJ #2304
93 RD/DJ 13C #4942
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

SVT3565 wrote:I'm still in the process of rebuilding mine. Finally drove it for the first time while taking it to storage. Car idles perfectly fine. When I hit about 59-61mph, the engine seemed to lose power. So I kept it about 58mph and it would drive fine.

What am I looking at? New fuel pump, fuel filter? I have stock fuel injectors etc. Not looking at anything high performance, I just want as stock as I can get.
I'm getting a new gasket for the fuel sending unit, that leaks fuel as well when I fill her up.

What brand do you all recommend and who I shop through? I've been out of the loop for a while and I like shopping through LMR.
Does the engine feel like it loses power at a certain RPM range in all gears, or only at a certain speed? What gear are you in?

There are a lot of things that can cause what you describe, from a slight vacuum leak to low fuel pressure to a timing / spark issue.

More info will be helpful, especially about what the engine does at the same RPM in other gears. Also if it loses power as in lack of acceleration from that speed, or does it bog down at a constant velocity.

See the sensor refresh project thread for what my engine did as various parts were replaced. It might give you some insight. Basically my engine was improved a lot in seat of the pants low and midrange from two items most of all - new O2 sensors and new Ford Racing EV6 24 lb injectors.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

oh and its probably the filler neck gasket (the round rubber where the neck is inserted into the tank) that is leaking not the fuel sending unit.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/ ... cs.748604/
SVT4942

Post by SVT4942 »

Dropped the tank today. It was the fuel filler neck gasket. Good call. I ordered that from LMR as well. I'm going ahead with the 190 pump while I'm at it. I changed the fuel filter and engine oil too today. I'll put the tank up this week, fill it up, and then start troubleshooting and knock out all of your guy's list of questions to narrow this down. Will get back to you shortly.
93 EY/C6 13C #12
93 RD/DJ #2304
93 RD/DJ 13C #4942