Rear view mirror replacement/window question

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Doughrat19

Rear view mirror replacement/window question

Post by Doughrat19 »

Anyone ever replace their rear view mirror? I bought a replacement because mine has a bunch of black spots on it. Just wondering what is the safest/easiest way to get the old mirror off the windshield.

On a side note, is it common for the power windows to not operate super smoothly? Don't get me wrong, mine go up and down no problem, they just aren't smooth like butter. It's hard to explain but they make a little screeching noise and wobble a little bit. Is there something I can replace/freshen up to smooth them out?

Thanks,

Matt
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!
1986Browns

Re: Rear view mirror replacement/window question

Post by 1986Browns »

There should be a metal clip that is glued on to the windshield glass itself. The rear view mirror assembly slides down on to that mounting clip. The mirror should just slide off of that metal clip, it may need a little extra nudge though if it has been there 20+ years.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

^^^

This. I replaced the mirror on my '89 GT awhile back and it came out of the windshield clip without too much trouble.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Mirror is all set. Just took a little extra work seeing the clip came off with the mirror. Had to glue it back before I could hang the mirror.

Anyone know anything about the Windows? I just rolled them up and down and my description would be they are choppy and both sides squeak a little at one point during the process just for a second.
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

Doughrat19 wrote:Mirror is all set. Just took a little extra work seeing the clip came off with the mirror. Had to glue it back before I could hang the mirror.

Anyone know anything about the Windows? I just rolled them up and down and my description would be they are choppy and both sides squeak a little at one point during the process just for a second.
You can take the door panels off and try to adjust the keepers, or look at them and clean them out if there is some trash or build up in them. Might not hurt to lube the parts while the door panel is off also.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

New mirror looks much better!

ImageOld and new rear view mirror by Doughrat19