Rear bumper

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Doughrat19

Rear bumper

Post by Doughrat19 »

Question, do the two metal pieces that are connected to the rear bumper at the bottom of the bumper connect to the bumper frame by rivets? Basically on my cobra they are not connected to the frame, only to the bumper right now so the bottom of the bumper is sagging. From what is left, it looks like they may be been riveted, can someone cofirm? I wanna fix this as the bumper hits my exhaust pipes right now.

Thanks,

Matt
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Rear bumper

Post by Z282SLO »

The rear bumper cover is kept in place at the top by a thin metal frame that extends the length of the cover in the area immediately underneath the taillights and license plate. On the bottom, it is kept in place by four bolts (two on each side) attaching the lower portion of the cover to the two metal pieces attached on each side of the rear bumper assembly.

The two metal pieces that the bottom of the bumper cover are bolted to should definitely be securely attached to the rear bumper assembly. I do not recall exactly how the metal pieces are secured.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

i think your talking about this bracket, it has 1/4" rivets, but you can probably use bolts, nuts and washers if you can get to the back side of the bumper

Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Finally got around me to it this weekend. I was able to river them back to the bumper frame and everything is all set now. Just another little thing to check off the list.
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!