Ticking

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Doughrat19

Re: Ticking

Post by Doughrat19 »

They are BBK shorty headers. I ended up getting BBK header gaskets and new bolts. I hope the gaskets aren't the same ones that came with the headers that failed...going to attempt the job myself when I have a free weekend.

Matt
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Doughrat19 wrote:going to attempt the job myself when I have a free weekend.
Considering you missed the 2nd drain plug on the car's oil pan, may I suggest you ask a friend familiar with working on an engine to join you. ;)
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Ouch Z, that hurts. Haha, idk, guess I have always just been used to changing the oil on my 2004 Dodge Dakota for the last 12 years (1 plug!)...

Anyway, just finished up the drivers side gasket today. Man those bolts are a PITA. That was the side I thought the problem was on (although my mechanic said both sides were actually leaking). Anyway, took it for a test drive, 100% better! So here is the question. Should I hold off on doing the other side until I start hearing the leak or should I just suck it up and do it now. I know when you're working with pairs, you usually do both at the same time but I'm on the fence with this because I don't hear any problem.

Matt
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

probably to late to offer this suggestion.

use permatex copper lightly around each exhaust port. It will help to make a good seal
vuzikis

Post by vuzikis »

Doug if you are still in the process of doing this use the metal Ford gaskets and tighten the bolts down tight. Start the engine for 5 mins heat cycle it let the engine cool a bit and re-tighten the bolts again. Trust me you will be saving time by doing this. After 50-100 miles recheck the bolts again. Don't pay someone to do this as most shops are full of morons.
93-3928

Post by 93-3928 »

Fel pro gaskets and stage 8 locking head bolts. You'll never have a problem. Have them on my Cobra with the same headers and had them on my 87 Saleen with the same set up! Never had an issue. 4-500 bucks and WHY over price!

Tom
93-3928