Ticking

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Doughrat19

Ticking

Post by Doughrat19 »

Ok guys, hoping someone can help me out here. So I'm an amateur mechanic, I try to fix things if I can. I usually look at videos online to learn how to do things. But right now I'm just trying to diagnose my issue. For a few weeks now I have been hearing some ticking when I get on the gas, note I do not drive the car that often. Not sure if it's possibly lifters or maybe an exhaust leak from the header gasket (I had a full exhaust system installed a couple of years ago). I tried to look under the hood while I had my girlfriend give it some gas and stick my hand near the drivers side header (I think it's coming from that side) but I honestly couldn't tell if it's coming from the header or under the valve cover. The car has over 115k on it and no engine work that I know of. Also, I've been a little worried about the amount of oil that comes out of it when I do an oil change. There is a small, and I mean small oil leak coming from somewhere. It's be parked for weeks and I'll only see a quarter sized puddle under it when I take it out. I've had the car about 5 years now and I did an oil change right when I got it and I only saw about 1 quart come out! Since then, the changes have been that bad but I still don't get close to what I put into it out of it. Unfortunately I don't remember the actual quantities the last few times. I'm hoping it's the header gasket and not the engine. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Matt
Teal/Blk #230 - My First Mustang!
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Ticking

Post by Z282SLO »

If your car is going through that much oil and you're only seeing a small amount on the ground after the car sits for awhile, it's likely an internal leak somewhere. Do you notice any smoke out of the exhaust pipes when the car is running?
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

No smoke at all. My mechanic had suggested it may be burning oil before but I have never seen any smoke. Not sure if this helps either but my oil pressure gauge usually fluctuates right below mid level. Not in the red zone but not dead center either and it moves a bit depending if I'm on the gas or not.
Ford pwr

Post by Ford pwr »

Here's my experience with oil in fords.
I typically run a 20-50 weight oil for the driving season in BC Canada which is from March till Oct or a 15-40 has been used if the previous isn't available. I found in any of my pushrod windsor motors they use oil, especially 10-30.

And for the newer models never use the thicker weights as my father in law did with a mod motor as you'll wreck the top end and have excess ticking.

Most mid 2000's or 2010 up they also use 5-20, my 2011 f150 had used up to 5 liters in 5,000km when towing or my wifes's Escape as well 1 liter between oil changes at 5,000km.
You never see any smoke either.

I would start with a fresh oil change, a synthetic might reduce the noise a bit but may also leak a bit more at this age of motor.
Then retighten all your header bolts to see if any are loose.
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

So I got confirmation today that it is the header gaskets, both need to be replaced. I took it to a custom exhaust shop and they estimated $4-500 for the job. Does that sound reasonable to you guys? I wanna say I had the entire stock system removed (without any cutting) and the aftermarket one ( headers, h-pipe, and mufflers and tail pipes) put on for like $400 2-3 years ago...

Matt
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

Doughrat19 wrote:So I got confirmation today that it is the header gaskets, both need to be replaced. I took it to a custom exhaust shop and they estimated $4-500 for the job. Does that sound reasonable to you guys? I wanna say I had the entire stock system removed (without any cutting) and the aftermarket one ( headers, h-pipe, and mufflers and tail pipes) put on for like $400 2-3 years ago...

Matt
Way too much, the gaskets are like 13.00 for a set. It's an hour job or so depending how skilled you are with some wrench's and patients.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand of gaskets to use with my BBK headers?

Thanks,

Matt
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

also, should I buy new bolts or is it safe to reuse the ones that came with the headers?

Thanks,

Matt
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

i like these, http://www.jegs.com/p/Stage-8/Stage-8-L ... 5/10002/-1 And on the oil you are draining both sumps? 2 drain plugs
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Wow 1993cobra, I guess you do learn something new everyday. Apparently I have only been draining from the rear plug, didn't even realize there was a plug in the front! After reading this I looked up a YouTube video and saw what you are talking about. What an idiot I am.

Matt
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

ok so I believe these are the headers that I bought a few years ago:

https://lmr.com/item/BBK-1515/79-93-Mus ... ty-Headers

Would the below part number 1575 be what I need? Or does it matter, looks like the only difference is the gasket width (I can't get the URL to work so you have to cut and paste the whole thread):

http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/ ... key[]=1783

or should I go for something like this?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Performance/ ... 2/10002/-1

Thanks,

Matt
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

i would say either one should work , the main thing is tightening all the bolts evenly, gaskets from the local autoparts should even work
WillyB93

Post by WillyB93 »

1993cobra wrote:i would say either one should work , the main thing is tightening all the bolts evenly, gaskets from the local autoparts should even work
Doesn't hurt to go back and check them after you run the car a couple times, with expansion and contraction of the metal.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
Doughrat19

Post by Doughrat19 »

Thanks guys. I ended up ordering new BBK header gaskets and bolts (or course they are back order). I also bought an air ratchet, figured it would easier to get into those tight spaces then my impact wrench.

Just wondering how difficult taking the bolts are? What are other peoples experience with header work? I'm really worried they are gonna be seized up good in there. Not sure if all the heat expansion and contraction on the bolts would cause them to seize in there or keep them from seizing in there...

Thanks,

Matt
buddha

Post by buddha »

Are these factory, or aftermarket shorties? Longtubes?

$4-500 bucks is insane. Maybe an hour and half of work there. It really depends on what headers they are. Some can be a real PITA.

As far as gaskets, don't use them. Hi temp silicone sealant is your best friend here. It works great and I've yet to have the stuff fail yet. The only thing better are gaskets like these:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Earls/Earls-Press ... 5/10002/-1

I have Bassani on both my cars and they utilize the same style gasket. They are the cats ass, hands down the best out there, but you'll pay for them.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP