BBK shorty header issues

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
CobraReady

BBK shorty header issues

Post by CobraReady »

I have BBK shorty headers on the cobra and they are rubbing on the steering shaft and AC line. Has anyone else ran into this issue? If so whats the best solution for a fix? Any other header recommendations? Thanks!
noac

Re: BBK shorty header issues

Post by noac »

Bassani equal length headers ceramic coated are great headers but expensive. The fit is better than OEM and they do not touch any wires when factory ignition wire separators are used. A MM steering shaft can be used for better clearance. I have heard some folks like JBA headers as well. I think they have a great reputation for fit and finish while also being expensive....Ford Motorsport headers are nice as they are period correct. They were made by Hooker I believe.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

I am using BBK long tube headers without any clearance issues.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
1986Browns

Post by 1986Browns »

Make sure your motor mounts aren't shot, broken/cracked mounts can cause issues.

I've got some Ford Motorsport ceramic-coated shorties on my car and am very pleased with the fit and finish. The Jet-Hot coating keeps the headers looking brand new and helps a little with under hood temps.
CobraReady

Post by CobraReady »

Just installed new motor mounts. They are the BBK shorty equal length causing the issues. I may switch to regular shorty or try the ford motorsport headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford pwr

Post by Ford pwr »

I've used a number of BBK headers and prefer the unequal length due to pass side inner rail and dr steering shaft.
Yes check your mounts for sure.
I've been using 93 Conv mounts also.