Cobra brakes

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
Brookse

Cobra brakes

Post by Brookse »

Hi guys:

My apologies if I asked this a few years back... I can't remember last weekend so you'll have to forgive me ;) ... but I need my Cobra to brake way better.

I am told the 1993 GT rotors are a perfect fit (given the proper wheel). Is this true? My speed-shop, that knows Mustangs, said they won't fit. I think they are wrong on this one, if one compensates for the shorter hat with less backspace? Right?

So, let's assume you all say I can put 4-bolt GT rotors on? What do I need? I need really good braking. The car is putting out about 425-450/500-525 and stopping is getting pretty white-knuckled. Any advice is very much appreciated guys. It's almost May and time to bring my baby back out on the road.

Thank you!

Brad
My Cobra looks backwards. He's wondering where everyone is...
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Cobra brakes

Post by Z282SLO »

With that kind of power output, I would seriously consider an aftermarket upgrade (slotted and/or cross-drilled rotors & improved pads) rather than trying to stick with '93 rotors.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Gt rotors will fit,
12SVT

Cobra brakes

Post by 12SVT »

Is there a performance advantage of GT rotors over the stock 93 GT rotors?
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Post by escogt »

12SVT wrote:Is there a performance advantage of GT rotors over the stock 93 GT rotors?
Not at all. The swap is to make the aftermarket '93 Cobra wheels fit properly. Purely aesthetics.
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
Brookse

Post by Brookse »

Hi guys, time for annual summer visit. I actually had Ford install some GT rotors (Stop Tech) and Hawk pads this week. Let me tell you: before stopping was an adventure everytime; now, there is bite and stopping power. It's day and night. It's a cheap fix so if you havern't done it, do it - but I'm sure you know all this.
My Cobra looks backwards. He's wondering where everyone is...