Found a blk on blk cobra

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
69boss

Found a blk on blk cobra

Post by 69boss »

Finally found a blk on blk cobra always wanted one that was modified and boy is this modified. This car was discussed here before, apparently the motor and trans was blown the car sat at a shop for years wo engine and tranny shop owner was trying to sell it and couldnt or didnt someone got it, stuck a motor and tranny in it and then i found it.

the car has full motorsport suspension including front K member, tubular arms, coil overs in front. pan hard and torque arm in back with motorsport adjustable control arms 373 gears with 31 spine axles eaton center and 5 lug conversion with bear brakes, shows 40k miles and based on how clean the interior and the rest of the car is Im inclined to believe its accurate. they stuck a new newer engine with gt40 heads b303 cam 1.7 rockers 75mm maf 70 mm throttle body other than that I have no idea about the motor (did a compression test seemed ok)

now the bad, I knew about the engine work so I purchased the car knowing it would have some issues

the first problem is the tranny its popping out of second (clutch is adjusted) (shifter is adjusted) and its scratching real bad in 4th other than that it actually feels very tight with no excessive vibration and the shifts are very solid actually when it warms up forth shifts a bit better,,, i checked the fluid its full.

the car feels sooooo slow (probably because it is) when I got it and I figured something was up

I changed the distributor plugs, plug wires, put in a 6-AL box and changed the injectors (we found one of the injectors to be acting up) it wasnt firing so the car was on 7 cyl we replaced it (but im still suspicious of the wiring harness), it made the car run a lot better but still feels real slow especially down low and its backfiring sometimes in the intake sometimes in the exhaust at low rpms it backfires in the intake at high rpms in the exhaust.
although I really have not reset the compute correctly, yet it idles nicely, fuel pressure is 36-38 timing is set at 15

my question is this

first are these refurbished tranny's i see online worth the effort or is it better to just rebuild my own? anyone have any experience with them?
as for the engine what else do I need to look at? is it possible that the computer is bad and making the car act up there are no check engine lights? it doesnt help that I know nothing about the engine and or who put it back together or with what but it does look to be decent work everything is clean and routed properly as far as i can tell but with such a project one can never be sure

I made sure the maf and throttle body are clean actually they were new like most everything else in the engine bay and everything is connected and seems to be working, the egr hoses are not connected but the plug is connected. IAC is connected and seems to be working correctly, however to make matters more complicated I took the cobra intake off and put in a gt40 intake and the car will eventually get a sc set up

in fact if anyone has a line on a supercharger set up hit me up

i would like to sort out the car and if anyone is in the houston area that can look it and help out Im willing to compensate you for your knowledge and work but only if you know what your doing :) otherwise any help here is appreciated