What are you guys doing when you need A/C work done

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
buddha

What are you guys doing when you need A/C work done

Post by buddha »

So what's everyone doing to deal with the R12 systems on our cars? The retrofit kits are a bit of a mixed bag, as you need to flush everything out and it's a fine line with the correct PAG oil that works for the compressor and R134a. The full on conversion kit is just that, you end up with a bit of a Frankenstein kit it terms of an 8 rib compressor with a bunch of scabbed on brackets to align and non factory hoses. Everyone says it works great, but it looks nothing like factory.

You can't buy the R12 any longer (legally anyway), even Ebay has visible made sellers make buyers at least promise they are licensed or selling it to someone who is.........lol! :roll:

Since the Kenne Bell was pulled of the black car, it needs a charge, and I've no desire to jump through hoops on the silly conversion and don't want to risk burning up my factory compressor.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
WillyB93

Re: What are you guys doing when you need A/C work done

Post by WillyB93 »

I'd say hit up a swap meet and try to find some r-12, but with everything going on in the world today little hard to that. You don't have any connections at any local auto shops to test the system, some might still have a little r-12 laying around too.
93 Black on black sunroof #1835
04 Comp. Orange Coupe #348
93 Reef Blue SSP LX Coupe (SOLD)
91 Wild Strawberry Coupe (SOLD)
93 Teal and Black #1521 (SOLD)
93 Vibrant Red and Leather #3038 (SOLD)
04 Mystichrome Coupe #529 of #1010 (SOLD)
buddha

Post by buddha »

I think there are still shops that service it, you just gonna pay a steep price for it, which I don't mind if it's within reason.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
69boss

Post by 69boss »

last I checked people wanted crazy money for R12 cans upwards of 70 a can...

Id say if you flush the system thoroughly disconnect the lines and flush each part separately change the O rings on all the lines and use the pag oil you should not have any issues with the ac system. I did exactly the same thing on my car and it has been working fine. I did get a new line with the orifice tube in it but used the same condenser and evap core I had in the car.. the compressor was purchased new as well.