Terminators

Discussion of other year SVT Cobra's
JohnLynch

Terminators

Post by JohnLynch »

I am looking at a 2003 Redfire Cobra with 23k miles I never owned one of these, was there any recalls or problems with them? It was a blast hearing the supercharger whine!
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP
drtymike

Post by drtymike »

They are a ton of fun. Mine made 490rwhp and 527rwtq with exhaust, pullies and k&n filter. Also upgraded the heat exchanger. The only big issues I knew of on these cars was a ticking from the head, from excessive heat. This was mostly on early 03s as they revised the cylinder head. Search SVTP forums for head tick in the terminator section and you can read all about it. Another was the gas pedal on some cars would get stuck under the carpet under wot. The fix was to trim the carpet back. The car is a little heavy, but with the irs it felt really good going down the road, even at 160+
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

drtymike wrote:They are a ton of fun. Mine made 490rwhp and 527rwtq with exhaust, pullies and k&n filter. Also upgraded the heat exchanger. The only big issues I knew of on these cars was a ticking from the head, from excessive heat. This was mostly on early 03s as they revised the cylinder head. Search SVTP forums for head tick in the terminator section and you can read all about it. Another was the gas pedal on some cars would get stuck under the carpet under wot. The fix was to trim the carpet back. The car is a little heavy, but with the irs it felt really good going down the road, even at 160+
x2 on exactly what Mike said.

Just to add.
John, If you wanted to mod a little. Put a set of H&R race lowering spring on. The car is awesome with these spring in cornering.

Also, if you don't mind me asking. My car has the about the same mileage on it... what's the price on this red fire your looking at?
buddha

Post by buddha »

Was also curious what these cars are doing also in terms of price. I haven't looked in a while. Last time I looked, 03-04's in with those miles and stock where under mid twenties.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

I have owned 12 03's I bought two new, both 03's, I alwasy heard about the head tick, but eveyone that said they had it was crazy in my opinion, I do know ford revamped the one head for cooling, but most the noise was from valvetrain, and injector noise. The updated heads will have blue paint on them just under the valve covers by the blower.

the all make a wierd clunk noise from the IRS, and most IRS covers leak gear oil some. Just a bad design, I also noticed the struts started making some noise around 30K miles as well.

All i can say is find one BONE stock, that isn't beat on. As for prices, a nice 23K hard top sells for around 20 to 23K, I sold my last 04 Mystic, 100% bone stock 26K miles for 23,500 they tend to bring more, if someone is asking crazy money for a 23K mile car, keep looking.
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

aaronlstiles wrote:I have owned 12 03's I bought two new, both 03's, I alwasy heard about the head tick, but eveyone that said they had it was crazy in my opinion, I do know ford revamped the one head for cooling, but most the noise was from valvetrain, and injector noise. The updated heads will have blue paint on them just under the valve covers by the blower.

the all make a wierd clunk noise from the IRS, and most IRS covers leak gear oil some. Just a bad design, I also noticed the struts started making some noise around 30K miles as well.

All i can say is find one BONE stock, that isn't beat on. As for prices, a nice 23K hard top sells for around 20 to 23K, I sold my last 04 Mystic, 100% bone stock 26K miles for 23,500 they tend to bring more, if someone is asking crazy money for a 23K mile car, keep looking.

Aaron, funny you should say that as I heard that weird clunking noise and had no idea what it was. He was asking around $20k but I got him down to $17.5k which I thought was a great deal until I found out it was in a wreck
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP