1995 Cobra R Prototypes

Discussion of other year SVT Cobra's
Cobra Jet

1995 Cobra R Prototypes

Post by Cobra Jet »

Creating this thread due to the recent posting of a classified ad created over on Corral and also same vehicle appearing in a discussion over on SVTP.

There were (2) 1995 Cobra R Prototypes built by Ford. Those were stuffed with the then available 5.8 Lightning engines. They also came equipped with 20gal fuel cells as well as the Tremec 5spds and numerous other enhancements. 1 of those Prototypes was entered and participated in the Nelson Ledges 24 Hour Endurance Race. The R-proto that was entered unfortunately received a DNF due to it ultimately landing on its roof.

Now, fast forward to current day in 2013 when this ad is posted:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/mustang ... value.html

The car in the above Corral link was also discussed briefly on SVTP with others mentioning the fact that only (2) 95 R-Protos were built (with one SVTP member and myself stating that one of the two were damaged as noted above). Another SVTP Member also chimed in that he has seen 1 of the R-proto's, but does not clarify which, but assuming it was the non-wrecked vehicle. Someone also mentions there was a rumor that someone at Roush was "removing" R-like parts from Roush's facility and putting them onto an SN95 to "create" a replica of the 95R-Protos.

The current "prototype" for sale, it has not been determined yet which of the original 2 this one is purported to be, but Seller is gathering documents for further verification.

That discussion is here (pages 107-108):
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/co ... d-108.html

Does anyone on here have any info to add about the 95R-Protos (factual or additional Internet links)? Any known pics exist of the Nelson Ledges incident, because I thought there was discussion yeas ago that the R-proto wrecked there was destroyed?

The current seller has been asked to supply the VIN, so far no responses (yet).
- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #13
SPEEDFREEK

Re: 1995 Cobra R Prototypes

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

The current owner of that car is a prick. He's never given anyone interested in the car a price. Always says make an offer. He needs to get proof of what the car is and Ebay it if he wants to play games about the price. He speaks of Colletti and the pioneers of SVT like he is on a daily basis with them and I asked him from one proto owner to another if he could get me in contact with some of his contacts to learn more about my car as well and he pretty much told me I was an idiot to think that someone I didn't even know would go thru the trouble to help me out with anything and that he couldn't believe I was stupid enough to even ask him that. I quickly told him where to cram it and that was my dealings with the prick.
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

I'd have backhanded him.

-MJS
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

SPEEDFREEK wrote:The current owner of that car is a prick. He's never given anyone interested in the car a price. Always says make an offer. He needs to get proof of what the car is and Ebay it if he wants to play games about the price. He speaks of Colletti and the pioneers of SVT like he is on a daily basis with them and I asked him from one proto owner to another if he could get me in contact with some of his contacts to learn more about my car as well and he pretty much told me I was an idiot to think that someone I didn't even know would go thru the trouble to help me out with anything and that he couldn't believe I was stupid enough to even ask him that. I quickly told him where to cram it and that was my dealings with the prick.
:lol: should have done this to him :twak:
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP
dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Post by dbrennancobra »

did he own alot of corvettes?
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

:D :D :D :D :D :D
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
bdecoy

Post by bdecoy »

dbrennancobra wrote:did he own alot of corvettes?
Hey now :wavey:
#1571 teal/blk stock 7k
#1547 blk/blk stock 19k
Sold:2946 1521 1447
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

bdecoy wrote:
dbrennancobra wrote:did he own alot of corvettes?
Hey now :wavey:

I always have a Vette laying around as well.
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
Cobra Jet

Post by Cobra Jet »

Based on this and prior instances, the owner has never produced the supposed paperwork on the car or the VIN (when questioned or asked)...

The Nelson Ledges incident was factual - so it would lead one to believe that:

A) only 1 95R-proto has survived out of 2

B) the car for sale can't be the Nelson Ledges vehicle - UNLESS someone invested a decent amount of time and money to fix the structural roof & misc. damages from the race wreck

C) the car for sale was (or is) an attempt to clone a 95R-proto appearance & attempt to profit from a potential scam

Usually, if Seller-X claims this or that about a vehicle-X, but can't back up the claim with some factual proof or evidence, all claims are mythical until proven otherwise...
- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #13
Cobra Jet

Post by Cobra Jet »

Snippet of history:

FORD MUSTANG COBRA COMPETES IN 'RACE FOR THE CURE'

DETROIT, June 17 /PRNewswire/ --

Twenty-four hours at Nelson Ledges will mark the first time an automobile race/motorsports team will compete for the benefit of the Michigan Cancer Foundation on June 18-19, 1994.

Drivers and cars from a dozen different states will drive the legendary 24-hour endurance race for street-legal showroom stock and improved touring cars.

Michigan will be represented by the Ford Mustang Cobra, prepped by Roush Racing for Ford and driven by four journalists: Rich Ceppos, executive editor, Automobile Magazine; Tony Swan, automotive columnist, Detroit Free Press; Daniel Charles Ross, national editor, Motor Trend Magazine and Terry Lingner of ESPN's Speedweek.

The Ford Mustang Cobra team is soliciting donations based on the number of laps/miles completed by each journalist in the race. Those pledges will be donated to the "Race for the Cure." The Michigan Cancer Foundation and the Meyer L. Prentis Cancer Center based in metropolitan Detroit, will benefit in the battle against breast cancer.

The "Longest Day" offers amateur drivers the opportunity to race for 24 hours battling time, mechanical gremlins, the elements and fatigue to see if they can really endure till the checkered flag drops.

Nelson Ledges road course is located in Garrettsville, Ohio. The race is sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America and is only one of three 24-hour races in the world. The other two are the 24 Hours of Daytona (Fla.) and the 24 Hours of LeMans in France.

For pledges, fax Jane Hoey at the Michigan Cancer Foundation at 313-831-8714.

6/17/94
/NOTE TO EDITORS: The drivers/journalists will be available for phone interviews before and during the race.

/CONTACT: Linda Lee of Ford, 313-594-3080; or Dan Ross, driver/journalist, (mobile) 313-802-2872/
(F)
In the end, we did not want to leave Charlotte and the Mustang Cobra Rs behind. With the exhaust uncorked, the engine balanced and blueprinted and some intelligent tuning done to the engine controls, 375 hp should be a realistic number for a track-prepared Mustang R. That is a lot of power and makes the Mustang fully capable of taking on the 350ci Camaros and Firebirds and beating them at their own game. While there really hasn't been much in the way of racing yet this year at the time this is being written (early April), we can say that at the Nelson Ledges 24-hour endurance race held earlier this year, the R was leading everything but the Consulier mid-engined exotic car (hear that, you Camaro weenies?) until it was gathered up in a wreck that started in front of it.

Read more:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/roadte ... 5_cobra_r/
- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #13