JULY 2013 - Murph

A section devoted to a member and his cobra , selected monthly
dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

JULY 2013 - Murph

Post by dbrennancobra »

Congrats to MIKE MURPHY! member "murph" with his black 93 cobra!

Personal - lets get to know member:
Name: Mike Murphy
State: Northeastern Ohio
Years within mustang/show cars hobby: 20
Career: Police Officer. I've been a cop for nine years.
Personal interest outside of mustangs: I'm a huge Notre Dame fan. I also love the Browns and Indians. I play golf in my spare time. I go hiking and biking a lot with my fiance (we're getting married in less than two months).

What other cars (currently) and or had in the past?
I had a five speed 93 Taurus SHO in college. My buddy had a Black 88 GT at the time and he always beat me when we raced. That was my first memory of the fox body Mustangs. I wanted one ever since then. When I worked at a local Ford dealer, I traded my 93 SHO in for a 99 SHO. I still wanted a Mustang but I still needed something fast I could drive in the nasty Ohio winters. Right now my daily driver is a 04 Lincoln LS.

also do you do car shows (how many a year)? cruises? etc? how do you enjoy your ride?
I've gone to quite a few car shows but only taken my Cobra to three of them so far. I enjoy my ride by simply just driving it and keeping it clean. It's mostly all stock and I plan on keeping it that way.

family history - how you got into this hobby/car collecting?

My Dad always asks me how I became a car nut because he's not one. I got into the hobby because of my friends in highschool (including my buddy with the GT). We all loved cars. When I worked at a local Ford Dealership in college the Terminators along with the Lightnings were selling then. How could anyone not love Fords after driving those two vehicles?

1993 car info:

My Cobra is #4723. It's stock other than BBK Headers, H-Pipe, and Flowmaster mufflers. I'd like to eventually put some Gatorbacks on it (although I haven't burned up the tires on it enough to justify getting new ones yet) :burnout:

It had a huge cowl induction hood on it when I got it. My buddy had a stock hood from his brother's old wrecked GT that he let me have. I had it repaired and painted at a local Ford body shop. One of the wheel's paint was peeling so I had those painted as well.

I took it to a couple Mustang shows this year. I'm taking it to another one in Sept. that Jack Roush Jr. is supposed to be at.

How did you find this 93 cobra and how did you get it home:

I looked forever for a black on black car with no sunroof on this site, craigslist, and autotrader. I saw mine on Craigslist out of Michigan. I called the owner and he said he owned an Asphalt Company and he was currently in Florida doing work there in the winter. I told him I couldn't go to Florida to look at the car and to call me when he came back to Michigan if he hadn't sold it by then. He called me back a few minutes later and asked me if I was seriously interested because he was willing to trailer it to my house to look at it. I told him I was very serious and I had been looking for a black on black one for awhile. About a week later he trailed it to Ohio and I drove it to my mechanic. It needed a new transmission and the driver's side strut tower had started to rust so he dropped the price significantly and I bought the car.

Other Mustangs or Fast fords:

The only two fast Fords I had besides the Cobra are the two SHOs I mentioned earlier. One was a green 93 5 speed and the other was a black 99.

What would be your next car to add to the stable?

I'd like to trade my Lincoln in for one of the newer Taurus SHOs. We have a few ecoboost Tauruses at our dept and they're crazy fast. If I won the lottery I'd get a green 68 Shelby GT500.

Photos of my ride:

Shout-out to members:

I'd like to give a shout out to DB for selecting me. Thanks man! I'd also like to give a shout out to the administrator and moderators who volunteer their time to make this site what it is. It's nice to see people on this forum taking time out of their lives to devote to this site.

Again, congrats Mike, we are glad you are here on this forum and enjoying this hobby! - DB :headbang:
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Re: JULY 2013 - Murph

Post by dbrennancobra »

Nice work man!
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Nice looking BLACK. Congratulations! You know you were meant to have this Cobra when the seller trailered it to your doorstep. Great story.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Congrats Murph!
Nice write up and story. I have a younger brother the same age who also has been a police officer for 9 years.

Black/Black :headbang:

Hey Murph, I haven't forgotten ya either. I was able to get away last weekend and go to the beach. I'll definitely get some time over the up coming weekend and update your car.
93svt#2779

Post by 93svt#2779 »

Congrats Murph!! :beer:

Those Taurus SHO's are BAD ASS man. wicked quick!! :burnout:
#2779 Black/Grey 167k
Romo93

Post by Romo93 »

Nice job! Cobras are a great stress reducer!!!

How about a few "free pass" business cards for unexpected speeding tickets????

:headbang:
1993 Black / Black Cobra #3929. V3 with a couple bolt-ons - 63,000 miles and counting....
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Post by escogt »

Beautiful Black!! Congratulations!! :beer:
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
vinchez78
'93 Cobra Luhva

Post by vinchez78 »

Congrats Murph, black is back!!
BLK on Leather
bdecoy

Post by bdecoy »

Congrats murph!!!! NE Ohio holding it down :drinks: we have to get them together for a photo. Good job on the save looks great :leghop:
#1571 teal/blk stock 7k
#1547 blk/blk stock 19k
Sold:2946 1521 1447
JohnLynch

Post by JohnLynch »

Nice job!
93 Cobra Teal/Gray #3223 -Stock (Borla catback)

*various other 93 cobras, #15, #4105, #2587, #539
#2381, #4724, #298, #1153 RIP
Murph

Post by Murph »

BrettT wrote:Congrats Murph!
Nice write up and story. I have a younger brother the same age who also has been a police officer for 9 years.

Black/Black :headbang:

Hey Murph, I haven't forgotten ya either. I was able to get away last weekend and go to the beach. I'll definitely get some time over the up coming weekend and update your car.
Thanks for updating it Brett!
Black/Black #4723 SOLD
12' Black Taurus SHO
Murph

Post by Murph »

Romo93 wrote:Nice job! Cobras are a great stress reducer!!!

How about a few "free pass" business cards for unexpected speeding tickets????

:headbang:
They are great stress relievers indeed. Our FOP Lodge only gives us a few "business cards" a year unfortunately. Otherwise I'd give them out like candy.
Black/Black #4723 SOLD
12' Black Taurus SHO
Murph

Post by Murph »

bdecoy wrote:Congrats murph!!!! NE Ohio holding it down :drinks: we have to get them together for a photo. Good job on the save looks great :leghop:

Another Ohioan! Awesome man. Do you ever go to any of the shows at Summit Racing?
Black/Black #4723 SOLD
12' Black Taurus SHO
bdecoy

Post by bdecoy »

Never been to their show but 45 min away so let me know
#1571 teal/blk stock 7k
#1547 blk/blk stock 19k
Sold:2946 1521 1447
Murph

Post by Murph »

They always have an all Ford show and a seperate Mustang show that are generally in July. I'm going to another all Mustang show at Montrose Ford on Sept. 15th. That's probably another 10-15 minutes away from Summit Racing. If you want to go to that one, PM me and I'll send you the details.
Black/Black #4723 SOLD
12' Black Taurus SHO