Opal Tweed and Carpet Replacement

Parts for sale or wanted specifically for the 1993 Mustang Cobra only.

Moderators: SVT4942, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra, WillyB93

Opal Tweed and Carpet Replacement

Post by #3458 »

Anyone have recommendation for best and closest matching opal tweed and carpet replacement ? Looking to do both replacements st same time and would like as close to oem and matching each other as possible.
1986Browns

Re: Opal Tweed and Carpet Replacement

Post by 1986Browns »

Not sure about the carpet, but most all of the aftermarket seat upholstery kits (TMI upholstery comes to mind) are waaay off in terms of the color and style of material. Best bet would be to find some really nice originals for sale or just switch to leather.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

Agreed. The aftermarket cloth replacements leave a lot to be desired. I’ve yet to see one that looks nice.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
buddha

Post by buddha »

Like the others mentioned, hard to get a match even close. My opal leather is pretty close in color, waaay better quality.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

Have any of you “non-leather” guys approached TMI about recreating the cloth seats?
'11 GT500 FR750 2.9 Whipple, '04 Mystichrome Terminator vert, '02 Mustang GT, 00R, '93 Cobra #1447, '89 Mustang GT vert.

specracer

Post by specracer »

I looked carefully at Tweed (for an 88), and a casual glance, its OKish. But it is far from exact. There is a thread / line in the OEM fabric that just isn't there in the TMI replacement (blue if I recall). Very easy to tell the difference if your looking for it, but that's if your psycho like me about noticing small details.

Its had to keep straight the difference of Opal, and 92 gray interiors (titanium?). They are very close.

Post by #3458 »

Thanks gents. See I’ve been worried about altering the authenticity aspect (paint/interior combination) bc the purists always seem to make a big deal out of stuff like that. But I’ve been entertaining the leather bc at least it’ll be period correct and the eye candy aspect of it. Plus my 10 yr old son thinks leather would be “way cooler” which my car we enjoy being out in as opposed to keeping on the shelf so to speak.
svt1john

Post by svt1john »

I had a wear/close to a hole spot in my opal cloth front seat bolster. I contacted smsautofabrics.com (advertises in Hemmimgs and the business is 16 miles from house) and the sent me 1 1/2" by 3" samples of the seat and headliner material. I believe that they only have fabric (like from the 1930's and up for just about any car) but no kits. The fabric was spot-on, in my opinion, so I ordered a yard and took it to a local upholster and had the bolster fabric replaced on my seat and it looks great. They also welded my sagging seat-back frame so now I don't look like some sort of gangster driving around.
Goose17

Post by Goose17 »

svt1john wrote:I had a wear/close to a hole spot in my opal cloth front seat bolster. I contacted smsautofabrics.com (advertises in Hemmimgs and the business is 16 miles from house) and the sent me 1 1/2" by 3" samples of the seat and headliner material. I believe that they only have fabric (like from the 1930's and up for just about any car) but no kits. The fabric was spot-on, in my opinion, so I ordered a yard and took it to a local upholster and had the bolster fabric replaced on my seat and it looks great. They also welded my sagging seat-back frame so now I don't look like some sort of gangster driving around.
We have to imagine what “looks great” actually is without pictures.
'11 GT500 FR750 2.9 Whipple, '04 Mystichrome Terminator vert, '02 Mustang GT, 00R, '93 Cobra #1447, '89 Mustang GT vert.

svt1john

Post by svt1john »

Hope the picture is attached. Sample from SMS is on left side.
1986Browns

Post by 1986Browns »

Wow, I'd say that's a perfect match.