What's wrong with this Cobra on Ebay?

Cobras For Sale from National & Local listings, ebay, craigslist, autotrader, etc...

Moderators: SVT4942, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra, WillyB93

NoCobraYet

What's wrong with this Cobra on Ebay?

Post by NoCobraYet »

I just found this 93 on Ebay, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it or saw any issues?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-For ... 2c516fa0eb
MWoods26

Post by MWoods26 »

It says clean carfax in his add but the one I just ran said the odometer was rolled back. car had 38,000 miles in 1996 then 28,000 two years later
93 COBRA #3066 Teal/Gray cloth
93 COBRA #4738 Teal/Gray cloth (SOLD)
93 COBRA #4935 Teal on Black w/sunroof (SOLD)
93 COBRA #4969 Teal on Black w/sunroof (SOLD)
93 COBRA #2243 Black on Black (SOLD)
NoCobraYet

Post by NoCobraYet »

I knew something had to be strange about it. It was too clean and nice to have not already been picked up. And this guy had it painted? Wonder what he paid for it?
NoCobraYet

Post by NoCobraYet »

instrument cluster looks like it has had holes drilled in it... maybe an aftermarket tach? Also the carpet looks like it was dirty as hell, and then cleaned.
PapaTom

Post by PapaTom »

The hole next to the air filter box shows that the plastic inner fender liner is missing.

It also has that fugly shiny sprayed detail shine in the engine compartment. That stuff dries and cracks on rubber parts.

Also, the BAP sensor mount on the firewall has rust on it and on the screws. Of thats rusted, it may be an indication of possible under carriage rust.

Is the Distributor is put back in at an odd angle ??? All others I've seen have the harness plug pointing around the 4-5 o'clock position

And whats with the plug wires being zip tied together?
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

Looks like drag radials out back and the seats and carpet are worn worse than any 100k mile car I've had. I'd say this car has had some mods at one time and has lived a hard life.
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

I don't put much Value in Carfax, as Many on here can attest, I recently Had to fight with them about my GT 500, It works like this..

1. I took 4 wheels in tires into the local Ford dealer to have them mounted., They where not on a Car Jus tin my truck.

2. I already had my GT 500 Informatino in their COmputer so they Just used the Vin off of it to write up the ticket, Howver I did not know what the Service writer was doing,

3. I told him the mileage on the car that the wheels went on was 43K miles,

4. About a month later, I sold my GT 500, I pulled a car Fax just to see what it said, to my Amazement it said my car had 43K miles on it.
When it actually only had 2K miles, I should know I bought it new.

Carfax Bought into all their Ford Record on New and Used cars, but when they go into the delership they set up a Program that Pulls all Information on every Vehicle that enters the delership. Needless to say the Manager Took care of it very fast.

But what if you buy a car, and the prior owner uses your Vin off your car to get some work done like I did? And he says the car has 200K miles on it, but it is Sitting in a Nice Heated Garage with 4K original Miles on it.

Carfax will not Fix this Unless it comes from the Dealership that input the information incorrectly, then it is 4 Pages worth of crap they have to fill out.

So In conclusion, I say Look at the car, if it has no wreck History, theny Don't worry what carfax says about Mileage, I am sure that their has been a many a cases like this, espically with collector cars. I just Sucks, you should be able to have a Local State Police Visually inspect the car, so you could get it Fixed through Car Fax. That is why Car Fax reports to me are worthless.

Then their is the 1 Owner thing, Guy buys it new, never changes Title over, so 200K later an 10 Years doen the road, the new owner runs a Carfax report, Wow Last reported Milege was 100 Miles. He Throws some ne paint on, new seat skins, and Low and behold we have an original 1 owner 20K mile car. A lot of it Comes down to Integrity.

So to this I say Screw Carfax. If you like the car Buy it, You know computers are never wrong, LOL
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

Actually the car Arron is speaking of with 200k mile mixup is my 6k mile teal car. Carfax is a joke. I went to a dealer class a week or so ago and they said Carfax was 18% correct and that Autocheck was 30% correct. They told us of another data base that is nearly 90% correct it is NICB.org and is a National Insurance and Crime database for autos. All insurance companys and government DMV's are required to run everything thru them. The case with my car I purchased it about 6 years ago got the title showing 6k miles and it is listed original mileage. Just for shits and giggles I ran a carfax a few years later and it showed up having been serviced at a Ford dealership in the town I bought it from a couple years after I owned it with over 200k on it. All the while it has been tucked in my garage. Needless to say I was furious. I called carfax and they said it wasn't their problem and I would have to get the dealership that did it straighten it out unless I could prove other wise. I told them I had the title in my name, and registered in a completley different state years before this so called dealership serviced it, showing 6k actual miles. Also I had the original carfax from the day I purchased the car showing 5k miles on it. Their answer was NOT OUR PROBLEM. So carfax can suck it. I spoke with my DMV agent and he looked the car over and laughed said carfax at best was a joke. Said that if I ever sold the car to sell it as actual miles because it really didn't matter what carfax said, because they were a third party co and got their info from way to many unreliable sources.
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

THe same thing happend to my red 93, but not to that extent, Looks like it had 28K miles on it, they keyed in 48K on accident, then went back to 30 something K, It now has 45K on it. This can easialy be seen from the condition of the car. Like I said car Fax Sucks.