What is my Cobra worth? (modded)

Cobras For Sale from National & Local listings, ebay, craigslist, autotrader, etc...

Moderators: SVT4942, SPEEDFREEK, 1993cobra, WillyB93

93PONY

What is my Cobra worth? (modded)

Post by 93PONY »

I've been debating wether to keep the car the way it sits, sell it the way it is, or return it to stock & sell it.

Since you guys are esentially the market for these cars, what is my car worth both modded & if it was returned to stock?

Teal 93 Cobra #3463
Just over 30K miles
Gray cloth interior

Body/paint is 9 out of 10. Some minor imperfections from door-dings that can be pulled out easily from the boys that do paintless dent removal. Clear coat in the hatch area is thin (I heard that was a problem on these cars). A few minor paint dings in the hood that have been filled in, color sanded, & buffed out, but you can still see a difference in paint due to the metalic in the Teal.

Interior is also 9 out of 10. Previous owner drilled a hole in the dash when he installed an MSD BTM & tachy 3 pod dash mounted gauge thing. Luckily these parts are easy to find from GT/LX stock. The driver side stock Cobra floor mat also has a rip at the top of the seam where the clutch pedal hits. Driver side power seat is also *slow*. Again, luckily it's the same as a GT part. Just haven't picked up a new one since I can't find the motors by themselves & I don't want to install a used POS.
Carpet has also been cut for the bolt-in roll cage. Stock Stereo was removed (Factory CD) from previous owner. I have a stock 93 Cobra stereo that I just haven't put back into the car. Those things are HARD to find!

Major mods:
Dart 8.2 deck Iron Eagle block
333ci rotating assembly built for 1000hp with 2618 forged pistons, taper-wall tool steel wrist pins, 24cc dished pistons (8.5:1 compression), Forged/nitrided Scat crankshaft (shot-peened, performance ground & polished), 4340 Forged 'I' beam rods with ARP2000 cap-screw bolts. ARP splayed main bolts. 4-bolts on all 5 main caps.
Vic Jr heads with chamber work only. Comp 953 Valvesprings, Titanium retainers, Comp spring cups, 10 degree superlocks, Custom .125" *thick wall* 5/16th pushrods, Comp Pro-magnum 1.6 rocker arms with 7/16th rocker studs. Valvetrain good for 25+psi & 7500RPM.
Link-bar hydraulic lifters setup at .006" preload
FMS *Cobra* valve covers w/stock gaskets.
Cometic MLS head gaskets
F303 camshaft installed on 113ICL
Billet steel 9 position timing chain
Stock Cobra intake mainfold, cut, ported, welded, & powdercoated
70MM Edelbrock TB
Flowmaster 3" full off-road exhaust (from shorties to tail pipe) with Dynomax 'Ultraflow' mufflers (not flowmaster POS's)
Auto Conversion done correctly (auto pedal assembly & wiring harness)
JW 'Ultra Bell' Professionally aligned to the crank centerline
JW 'Ultra Wheel'
Custom 10" torque converter
2500HP capable TH400 transmission with 17 roller bearings & *lightened* rotating assembly.
AJE custom Transmission cross member (bolt-in to stock location)
Custom Speedometer setup so stock speedo works & is correctly calibrated.
Custom 1000+HP capable steel driveshaft with 1350 Spicer U-joints
Welded stock 8.8 with 2.73 gears, spool, 31 spline Custom Mosier axles & Mosier c-clip eliminators. New stock Rear rotors (not installed).
Weight jacker lower control arms w/spherical bushings
Stock upper control arms (welded) with spherical bushings in rear end housing.
Upper & lower TQ box reinforcements
Strange Adjustable shocks & struts (10-way)
Stock springs front/rear
Subframe connectors
6-point Chromoly bolt-in Wolfe Racecraft cage
Safecraft 6-point harnes
B&M Hammer shifter cut/modified to fit under stock 5spd leather boot. No console modifications done.
A-pillar guage pod w/boost & fuel pressure
Ricks Custom Hot-Rod 'alumistealth' billet aluminum fuel tank/cell. 15gallons w/A1000 mounted Inside tank. Tank was insulated to absorbe fuel pump noise. No louder than stock inside vehicle.
Custom fuel system w/-6an lines, dual fuel filters (before & after pump), Pro-M billet aluminum fuel rails (1/2"), 50lb injectors, Areomotive FPR.
4-lug Baer 13" front brake kit with aluminum hubs, Aluminum hatted rotors, PBR calipers, stainless steel brake lines, & rebuilt stock brake booster.
Incon 800TT kit with the following modifications:
Fully ported exhaust manifolds, then ceramic coated.
Rebuilt ball-bearing turbos from Majestic in Dallas 1K miles ago
-8an teflon oil return lines
-4an teflon oil feed lines
-6an teflon water lines
Spearco 1000hp intercooler mounted under radiator. Greddy 'race' BOV mounted on intercooler for better tuning control.
14psi wastegate actuators
Pro-M calibrated 80MM mass-air
Custom Tuned with PMS.

Runs 104 octane with 16psi & 27 degrees total timing. This is to avoid any excessive valveguide wear, and prolong the life of the iron exhaust manifolds. (Most common form of failure for these manifolds is due to excessively retarded ignition timing which makes them glow red-hot).

Car weighs 3750lbs race weight in street trim & runs 10.4's @137mph.
Weighs 3650lbs race weight in race trim (slicks/skinnies) & last time out ran 10.25 @140.3mph.
The car needs a better suspenssion to 'hook'.....& it'll easily go 9's.
Although I own a dyno, she is not dynotuned. (non-load bearing dyno) She is tuned at the dragstrip. ET/MPH to weight put power at right around 800FWHP.

The only accessory removed from the car is the smog pump.
Car passes CA smog when stock H-pipe is bolted up & smog pump is installed.

There's a LOT more in the details of this car.
I am an engine builder & tuner by trade. The car was done right.
She drives damn-near stock on the street, has working PS, AC, etc. It's as close to 'super cobra' status as I can make it. Or at least my own idea of what a 'super cobra' would be if ever there was one.
I've owned the car since late 2001. 3rd owner.

Here are a crap-load of pics:
Advanced Engine Development
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

First welcome to the site, I will let others estimate an acurate value of your car as is , because I am not up on the perf. parts prices or labor for the mods. but I am sure of a few things, You will never get what you put in the car back, The parts will sell better off the car, and most 93 cobra buyers want a original car. So you may be better off returning to stock and sell the perf. parts seperatly. Unless you can find the one person who likes what you did to it and has the money you are willing to take for it. I will take a stab at it and say modded = 18k original = 12k
93PONY

Post by 93PONY »

I've put well over $40K into the car.....after I bought it for $18K with the turbo kit on a stock motor.

I'm not looking to get what I have into it. I've been offered $30K & didn't take it. I wasn't willing to give the car to someone who'd end up destroying it...no matter the price. I've been offered $30K 3 times now...all of whom just wanted the car because it's clean & fast. They weren't the 'right' kind of buyer. I'd only sell it to someone that knows enough about these cars to keep her in good condition & not abuse her. That is very hard to find considering she'll do 0-180mph in less than 1/2 mile & power like this is intoxicating!

It just drives so damn nice & performs even better. It's a shame to return it to stock & not be able to sell it.

I know I can use/sell the parts off the car....that's not a problem. It's just very labor intensive.
SPEEDFREEK

Post by SPEEDFREEK »

you will come out better putting it back to stock and selling your parts. If you've been offered 30k I'd say sell it that way. The car stock should do 15-18k to the right buyer if it is indeed as clean as you say. Then you can sell off your parts. I'd say 20k like it sits. I've saw a heavily modded 9k mile car I think it sold for 18500.
89 Saleen SSC #168 10k miles
90 Saleen Vert #93 26k miles
92 Cobra Prototype 8k miles
93 Cobra #3032 Teal/gray cloth 6k miles
93 Cobra #3620 Black/Gray leather 12k miles
93 Cobra #4993 Teal/Gray Leather
93 Yellow SE 5spd, 4k miles
93 5.0 coupe 19k miles
94 GT 7k miles
92 25th 1LE Z28 900 miles
ceetwarrior

Post by ceetwarrior »

Damn thats a crazy sick 93 you got there. NICE WHEELS UP TOO!!!!

I would think if you want to sell it to a 93 Cobra collector/buyer you gotta get rid of that damn automatic to get more value back. Automatic in a 93 = NOT COOL.

If you're going to sell it to a drag racer then I guess leave it as is and take those $30k offers.
'93 #3593 Teal/Black cloth - *Sold* but went to a good home! Don't join the teal/black divorce club..
'95 SVT COBRA #3463 (current)
93PONY

Post by 93PONY »

Yeah, I know I can get more parted out & returned to stock.
I was just curious what the price *could* be modded vs Stock.
It'll help me determine what I'm gonna do with this thing....if anything.
I know holding onto it & taking care of it & she'll only go up in value.
I just don't know if I can stand not going faster! LOL
I'd actually like to start a project Coupe. No worries about value of a stock vehilce then. Plus I could go hole-hog & do a true drag setup. No more pussy footing around trying to keep it 'look' stock like I've done with this Cobra.

The market for clean (relatively) stock 93 Cobra's has been fairly steady over the last 5 years & I've just recently noticed prices to be going up for nicer condition cars. Hell, foxes in general seem to have hit a floor on price. Find a clean Fox that's in decent condition & they're selling for $5-6K even with high milage.

BTW, I'll never go back to a stick in a performance application. The auto drives SO nice compared to when it had the stick. Especially with the 2.73 rear end gears. 1st gear is good to 60mph at my shiftpoint of 5800RPM. 2nd is good to 100, 3rd is just plain crazy. Oh....& the ratchet shifter is just bad-ass. Just pull back on the shifter & she shifts......ratchet springs back to the neutral position, pull back again & she's shifts. :)
Car went from low 11's to low 10's with the auto....

There's not many 5spds that can handle this motor/car combo....let alone a clutch setup that can hang. I blew 3 C4 tranys that were built to go high 6's in the 1/4. This car is just too damn heavy. She's hard on drivetrain parts.
If a 5spd goes back in, it'll be a world-class T5 & in front of it will be a stock XXX block with GT40 Irons, stock cobra cam, & a cobra intake.
ceetwarrior

Post by ceetwarrior »

i'm not going to hugely debate about auto vs. stick..... Have you seen Marc Arnolds 93 Cobra that runs 9.50's with a 5-SPEED?! Check it out sometime if you haven't. http://www.the-arnolds.net/Cobra/content.htm

If you like an auto then run it. But don't say you cant make/hold power with a clutch. Pro-stockers run 6's all day all motor with a air 5 speed....

Besides all that, the main point is 93 Cobras never came with auto's so if you put the 5-speed back in its going to be worth more unless you sell to a drag racer who likes auto's.
93PONY wrote: BTW, I'll never go back to a stick in a performance application. The auto drives SO nice compared to when it had the stick. Especially with the 2.73 rear end gears. 1st gear is good to 60mph at my shiftpoint of 5800RPM. 2nd is good to 100, 3rd is just plain crazy. Oh....& the ratchet shifter is just bad-ass. Just pull back on the shifter & she shifts......ratchet springs back to the neutral position, pull back again & she's shifts. :) Car went from low 11's to low 10's with the auto....

There's not many 5spds that can handle this motor/car combo....let alone a clutch setup that can hang. I blew 3 C4 tranys that were built to go high 6's in the 1/4. This car is just too damn heavy. She's hard on drivetrain parts.
If a 5spd goes back in, it'll be a world-class T5 & in front of it will be a stock XXX block with GT40 Irons, stock cobra cam, & a cobra intake.
'93 #3593 Teal/Black cloth - *Sold* but went to a good home! Don't join the teal/black divorce club..
big frank

Post by big frank »

Where about in Cali are you? Looks like Sac...
93 Cobra, Kenne Bell 2.1L, 42# injectors, 76mm C&L MAF and inlet tube, MM sub frames & K-brace, Hurst SST shifter, Moates QuarterHorse, DataQ, BE/EA tuning software, Flowmaster cat backs, Autometer gauges.

68 Shelby GT-350 in restoration
93PONY

Post by 93PONY »

I know all about Marc Arnold's setup.
Totally different animal. Pro-shifted manuals are not street setups.

My wife's all-motor 91GT runs 10.8's @126mph & we run a Tremec 5spd. If we swapped to an auto she'd run 10.50's or better @~124mph. Pro-shifted 5spd we're looking at 10.50's or better at 129+mph. Nothing like a pro-shifted manual, but they just won't last in a street setup. We're Pro Motion dealers...I've had many conversations with Wally & Walt about going Pro shifted on her setup....it just wouldn't last & they are not *fun* to drive outside of the racetrack.

I've built plenty of high HP stick & auto mustangs. Hate to say it, but the fact is, the ones with the fastest ET are autos. They also drive very nicely down the road. We've got many 10 second stick cars (non pro-shifted), but the 9 & 8 second setups are all autos....& streetable.

The 93 Cobra is 800+lbs heavier than Marc's setup & makes a LOT more HP & TQ at a much lower RPM (I shift at 5800 vs 8500). It is truely a street machine, with the reliability you'd expect from your daily driver slush box.

Some don't like the Auto, but check out the pics closely. Looking in the car most would never know it had an auto. My buisness partner was die-hard 5 spd in ANY mustang (he an all-motor 94GT witha G-force T5 that runs 10's on 18" DR's)...until he drove a properly setup auto like what I run. (We did a Lentech 4R70W with the same shifter setup in a customers TT 03 Cobra....he drove the car at the dragstrip & on the street to dial in the suspenssion.) He's now recommending auto swaps to all our High HP customers.

Yeah, I'm in the Sac Area.
ceetwarrior

Post by ceetwarrior »

Cool.

Like I said if you like auto to gain .2-.3 in the quarter, sweet. It's true, its a faster if that's what you're looking for.

Back to original statement.... "In my opinion" (and I'm sure there's plenty who agree) automatics swapped in a rare 93 cobra is gay. I'll say it to your face.
nmm347

Post by nmm347 »

93Pony is right about the autos in a serious drag car. I dropped almost a second off my ET going from a 5-speed to an auto. However, I'd never mod a cobra like that. Just a personal opinion.
93PONY

Post by 93PONY »

ceetwarrior wrote:Cool.

Like I said if you like auto to gain .2-.3 in the quarter, sweet. It's true, its a faster if that's what you're looking for.

Back to original statement.... "In my opinion" (and I'm sure there's plenty who agree) automatics swapped in a rare 93 cobra is gay. I'll say it to your face.
IMO a 1.5L KB in a "rare 93 Cobra" is "Gay"...and slow. :roll:

Who cares, that's not the point of this thread.

Besides, like anything else on this car the auto is a true bolt-in setup & can easily be swapped out for a T5 if/when it goes back to stock.
Until the car makes 1/3 the power it does currently, the bad-ass auto stays. Despite your (& others) opinions.
Kevins89notch5.0

Post by Kevins89notch5.0 »

Sweet mother of GOD!!!! :shock:

You're practically created my dream car. It looks nearly stock, and clearly runs like a raped ape. I think I'm gonna have to go swing by the gas station for some lottery tickets. If my numbers come up, you're getting a call!
** 89 LX 5.0 ** Currently in hibernation
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

If your offers for 30k are serious, I would seriously consider them.
93PONY

Post by 93PONY »

Kevins89notch5.0 wrote:Sweet mother of GOD!!!! :shock:

You're practically created my dream car. It looks nearly stock, and clearly runs like a raped ape. I think I'm gonna have to go swing by the gas station for some lottery tickets. If my numbers come up, you're getting a call!
Thanks for the kind words. :D
It seems either people love it or hate it on here! LOL

It was my dream car back when I bought it, but like anything, my tastes change. Although I love the car, I'm more into all-motor setups these days.

FWIW, if the right buyer comes along I will swap any parts on the car to satisfy their wants. (ie, 5/6spd swap)