20k miles Cobra. Body work before and after!

Post some pictures of any and all your vehicles here.

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK

dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Post by dbrennancobra »

You mention the slightly different (but not tougher) engine, but then you say that you may want to build a monster 800HP car. There is nothing, other than the timing cover, that you can use from the stock engine on an engine making that kind of power. Everything will have to be serious aftermarket, and the trans and rear end will also have to be upgraded, as well as the body, (roll cage and subframe connectors, at a minimum) and now you have a cut-up car that can't really be put back stock, and you are at least 50K lighter in the pocketbook for a modded car that will be worth the same or less than it is now. We've seen it here too many times before, and you have to be 100% sure that you want to go down that road with such a nice survivor as your car - and not a high mile car instead that's worth far less and would be a better choice for a wild build.

Think it over, a clean '93 Cobra is a very unique looking car on today's roads, even stock. They get all the right kind of attention, and speak to the taste of the owners. Plan your mods well, and plan them reversible too, because you never know.

-MJS[/quote]

I agree with the above 100%.
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
Pokerninja

Post by Pokerninja »

Thanks for the all the feedback everyone, I really do appreciate it. Although i do have my own opinions, please realize that I am no expert when it comes to cars. I'm here to learn and I value the input of everyone here, even if it doesn't agree with my own.

As for the outside appearance, I will not be changing anything else except maybe the lights. I do like the HID lights (especially cause people move out of my way in the fast lane at night lol) but i was worried how they might look on the car. If anyone knows how I can get HID with a more stock look that would be great,maybe a kit?

@ mike s. If you took that cowl hood off and reduced the size of the tires some, Id like that car, sorry :(

As for the under the hood mods, I'm really only interested in increasing the power of the car.I really don't want to cut up the frame or add a roll cage. I just want to have more power so that its competitive with a lot of the more modern cars on the road these days that come stock with 300+hp but I'm also aware that i will need to change out more parts on the car the more power I add. Maybe 500/650 would be more balanced. Not having been down that road yet, I'd hard to say. My mechanic (who offered to the buy the car the 1st day i brought it to his shop) was trying to talk me into a twin turbo but I definitely will be doing a ton of research before changing anything under the hood. Any ideas on that would be great.

If I was going to increase the hp, what kind of exhaust would be best?
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

Maybe your Mechanic knew you wold rice it up, LOL. Jk man. If you want to make that kind of power you will need a good Forged Piston Motor, these stock motors can only handle about 8lbs of Boost before the ring lanyard shit the bed.

Sounds like you should put this one back stock, and buy you a nice 80K miles 100K miles driver, as it sounds like you will be swapping out all the mechanical, and that was the reason you bought a low mile car, so you didn't have to do that.
93 Venom

Post by 93 Venom »

I wanted to have power too, so I pulled the motor (kept it ) then put a dart 347 motor with all the good stuff to handle a supercharger with lots of boost. Also I had to replace the transmission because I knew the stock one was not going to be able to handle all that TQ ( Kept it). Put a T56 and beef up the rear end and more $$$$$$$$. See a pattern here, my girl has 70,000 miles on her and the person I bought the car from dogged it all the time on the strip. Yours was a beauty queen from the start, go find you a 4 banger or a 5.0 lx and make that your weekend beast, and restore your beauty queen back to her original condition.
93 cobra #4464 Red / Gray Cloth / Sunroof
2011 GT500 Race Red/ silver strips/ Glassroof
69 vert Mustang Candy apple red / white Top
82 GT T-Tops (SOLD)
91 5.0 LX (SOLD)
04 Mach 1 Screaming Yellow (SOLD)
cityboy21

Post by cityboy21 »

Can some of the cars Mike S. posted be considered "wrecked" in the Registry? just curious.
1993 Cobra- Teal w/gray cloth #1113(SOLD)
67000 miles
buddha

Post by buddha »

Pokerninja wrote: If I was going to increase the hp, what kind of exhaust would be best?
Wow, walked into this thread late. Anyway, I actually like the Stalker front end. Can't say I'm a fan of the hood, but whaterver.

Anyway, if you go with a power adder, you can shove a ton of power through a 2.5" setup with no issues.
Black/Black 93'
Red 11' GT500 with a VMP
dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Post by dbrennancobra »

just put NOS....... MONICA. NOOOOOOO
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
GTJay99

Post by GTJay99 »

Pokerninja wrote:
@ mike s. If you took that cowl hood off and reduced the size of the tires some, Id like that car, sorry :(
So what your saying is it looks better stock. LOL. You must have owned six cylinder mustangs all your life and this is your first Big Boy. Cause the mods you talk of and did are all in a sixxers dream... LMFAO
'93 Cobra- Teal/Black #1184
'86 Notch- Min.Grey Project Racer
drkhrse

Post by drkhrse »

pokerninja, ignore these guys, they only like to look at stock cars. I say mod the hell out of it! Make it how you like it, life is too short to let others tell you what to do. I have always liked the stalker front bumper, had one on a 92 GT many year ago. They look better in person than in pics. I wish I kept it for my cobra.
-1993 SVT Cobra R #58, open track
-1993 SVT Cobra Teal #112, street
vuzikis

Post by vuzikis »

Ok Poker, its your car and you can do what you want. Many here are just saying why didn't you just buy a 93 GT and save your money for mods. Don't get your logic for spending twice the cash for a Cobra. As far as your argument about the Cobra having better internals than a GT this is completely untrue. The cam is the only difference as far as the bottom end. All of the mods are top end which is why the car is more powerful than a GT. If you are trying to make 600+ HP with your car, the only thing you can use is the upper and lower intake, which will need to be extrude honed for more flow. All the other parts are useless to make that kind of power. Just my 2 cents. Oh one more item, these cars were very underrated by Ford when they hit the showroom. 235hp and 280ft torque isn't correct but that is what was put out by Ford. I have a dyno numbers of my car with only full exhaust of 245hp 298ft torque to the rear wheels. The previous owner dyno'ed the car stock with 239hp 292ft tq. If you calculate 15% loss from the flywheel that puts the car at 281hp/342ft tq (using the full exhaust set-up numbers).These numbers could be increased with a tune bump in timing (mine currently set at 10). Anyway my point is that these cars are not dogs even by todays standards.
red95gts

Post by red95gts »

Holy Christ that's ugly! I'm all for modding the drivetrain (let's face it, stock Foxes are sloooow) but the hood and bumper are horrific.
-Darrell

2003 BMW M3 Coupe
93 Cobra #199 - SOLD
SCJScott

Post by SCJScott »

To each is own. It is his car he bought with his money. With that said, I would've kept it original since I'm a purist. As long as he keeps the original parts that can be swapped back, there is no harm here.
Owner of 1969 SCJ Mach1 "W" code/1988 Saleen #671
Looking for an original Cobra Mustang to come my way