20k miles Cobra. Body work before and after!

Post some pictures of any and all your vehicles here.

Moderators: 93Cobra#2771, SPEEDFREEK

aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

Pokerninja wrote:@ aaron. thanks for your feedback but tell me how you really feel!! haha

all good man. I'm not keeping this car in stock condition so it holds value, nor do i ever plan on selling it. I got a low mileage cobra for a couple reasons:

1. I don't have to spend any money/time fixing anything or guessing at what needs replacing/ has been changed by the previous owner. Its basically new so everything is already in great condition and I can move on to making improvements from a clean slate. Time = money. id rather spend that on mods than repairs.

2. The cobra internals are much more prepared to handle the increased horsepower than the GT version.

Stock is cool for resale but wheres the personality? Why should every cobra look the same? Personal enjoyment > re-sale value. imo.
Their are other way to change the personalize you 93, window tint, slight Drop in stance, possible a nice set of 5 lug wheels, keep it simple. cause one day you will look at what you have done to it now and realize you ruined a perfet 93 Cobra, Imagine a 65/66 shelby all riced out, can't say I would do that.

As for the Cobra Internals being different than a GT, sorry man, same motor. Only difference is heads, cam and intake. Other than that same rods pistons and crank.

I do see buying low mile car, less to worry about, or maybe not. cars that sit for long periods of time tend to leak, and need just as much attention asdriver cars that are maintained during use.

Please don't take this wrong, most of us here try to preserve our 93's with some minor mods, and that is about it. What you have done is taken a 93 Cobra, and made it look like a GT with some Cobra Parts on it, cause no one would think about doing that to a LOW mile 93 Cobra, well maybe a few.
93 Venom

Post by 93 Venom »

Well said aaron! I would have to agree with your statement brother...
93 cobra #4464 Red / Gray Cloth / Sunroof
2011 GT500 Race Red/ silver strips/ Glassroof
69 vert Mustang Candy apple red / white Top
82 GT T-Tops (SOLD)
91 5.0 LX (SOLD)
04 Mach 1 Screaming Yellow (SOLD)
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

93 Venom wrote:Well said aaron! I would have to agree with your statement brother...
Beat me to the punch,lol X3 on what Aaron said above.
RollTide93

Post by RollTide93 »

Pokerninja wrote:I've wanted this car for as long as I can remember. I also had a 93 GT (sold two years ago) and wasn't able to get up to where I wanted it at the time. I totally realize that changing the stock look may seem to diminish the quality of the car for some - but for me - It's more important to pursue my own unique vision of what the car can look/drive like. I also plan on making extensive mods under the hood. Not to say that 235 hp isn't good but how about 650+ or 800+? I look at moding the exterior in the same way. These are changes that increase the enjoyment of the car for me. Thanks for the comments and feedback. I appreciate all of your opinions and will continue to post when the tires/rims/suspension gets finished in the next few months. :D
If you plan on 880+ HP you will need to pretty much hack up and destroy the originality of the car with reenforcements. Aaron said it best, looks like a 93 GT with some cobra parts, and that customizing it to the extent of some tint, drop and maybe some engine mods would make it a very nice low miler. I think the front page of this site says it best:

Welcome to the 1993 Mustang Cobra Registry. Our objective is to try and accurately keep track of the 93 Cobra. Ford only made a total of 5100 including the R version and unfortunately, no one really knows how many are left of the original total. After 19 years, there have been some thefts or casualties that make the remaining survivors that much rarer.

So if you are fortunate enough to own one of these awesome cars, please take the time to submit your information and hopefully as a group, we can find all 5100 Cobras, whether they are dead or alive.

Thanks for visiting!

There aren't many of these left and to make it look like you ran into the side of the cervini's warehouse just ruins them.
-Brian-
93 SVT #15 (pre-production)
93 SVT #1809 SOLD

This is how we chill from 93 till.....
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

Lol@ running into the side of Cervini's warehouse! Was gonna say the same thing about the cobra and gt having same internals.
AT11

Post by AT11 »

I agree with Aaron's comments 100%. To each their own, but not to a 20k mile 93 cobra. I am crying all over my computer right now.
1991 Titanium Frost coupe, 331 Stroker
1993 SVT Cobra #199, Teal/Black - SOLD
93 Reef Blue Coupe 441 RWHP, 404RWTQ - SOLD
1990 SSP coupe, Ex Arizona DPS - SOLD
Pokerninja

Post by Pokerninja »

@ mike s. that is hilarious man, i admire you humor, honestly.

Im not interested in being ghetto or what anyone thinks except me. That front of that first car looks crazy, ill admit and i was a little bit hesitant about modding the lights. I can agree with you there. THAT hood is too much in my opinion (as are most of the hoods including the mach,stormin norman and the cowl hood). I purposely went with the most subtle change i could find. one scoop, that's it. I also would never blaze a stick on the front....That BACK of that car looks like crap. I would never do that to any car. period. These are arguable differences but your point is taken. I cant really see the tires but i don't see any problem with deep dish. I would never put anything bigger than 18's on my car and i may just get 17's. The red car is nice, I think you choose the wrong picture to make your point there. Adding rims doesn't mean the car is riced out or trying to be "hard". sorry. As for the American flag car, not my thing but hey - if some vet loves his country and his car - go for it!! I'm not going to hate on that one bit. Oh and by the way, you'd never catch me in a bmw or an evo. wrong guy by a mile.

@ aaron. I hear you and that makes complete sense to me. That is the most reasonable feedback I've received on here so far and I can completely understand where you are coming from. The only point I can make is this - Changing a hood and one bumper does not equate to "ricing it out" in my opinion. Also, I'm having a hard time comparing a CLASSIC car like a 66 shelby to a 93 5.0. I was a freshman in high school in 1993, there's nothing classic about it. The fact that I like foxbody at all and that i DON'T like any mustang afterwards should show that I do in fact have some respect for classic lines, however, im not so nostalgic about the year 1993 that I completely closed to the idea of adding a hood. As for the internals, I'd have to disagree. this is the list of changes made to the cobra and its definitely NOT the same motor.

Cylinder Heads: GT-40 "High Flow" Cast Iron heads were installed. They were milled for 62.5 cc combustion chambers. Valves measure 1.84" (46.7 mm) intake, and 1.54" (39.1 mm) exhaust. The valves are actuated by Cobra-specific 1.7 ratio roller rockers, constructed of aluminum and produced for Ford by Crane Cams. Part Numbers: F3ZZ-6049-B (head), F3ZZ-6507-A (intake valve), F3ZZ-6505-A (exhaust valve), F3ZE-6529-AB (rockers).

Intake Manifold: The Cobra upper manifold was unique to the 1993 Cobra and had a 2.75" (70.0mm) diameter round throttle body opening, diverting air into (8) round staggered ports, each 1.64" (41.7 mm) diameter. The lower manifold was identical to the GT-40 manifold used by Ford Racing; it redirects airflow to a rectangular port configuration as needed by the cylinder heads. Part Numbers: F3ZZ-9424-C (upper manifold),F3ZZ-9424-D (lower).

Camshaft: The cam is of the hydraulic roller type (same as the GT). However, the Cobra cam has unique specifications of 0.479"/0.479" (12.2 mm/12.2 mm) intake/exhaust lift, (209°/209°) duration at 0.050" (1.27 mm), and a lobe separation of 118.3°, Part Number: F3ZE-6250-CA.

Air/Fuel Delivery: The increased airflow and fuel consumption of the Cobra required these upgraded components: Larger (compared to the GT) 24 lb/hr fuel injectors, 2.75" (70.0 mm) MAF meter, 2.56" (65.0 mm) throttle body, and matching EGR plate handle the increased breathing of the motor. A specially calibrated X3Z EEC-IV engine control unit runs the system. Part Numbers: F1TZ-9F593-C (injectors), FIZF-12B579-AA (meter), F3ZF-12A650-CA (ECU).

Accessories: The crankshaft pulley diameter decreased by 14% (as compared to the GT) in order to under-drive the alternator, A/C, and smog pump, all to increase power. The water pump pulley also decreased in diameter by the same amount in order to preserve the ratio of pump speed, and thus coolant flow. These smaller accessory pulleys necessitated a shorter serpentine belt. Part Numbers: F3ZZ-6A312-A (crank pulley), F3ZZ-8509-A (water pump pulley), F3ZZ-8620-A (belt).

Exhaust: To extract the maximum amount of power from the Cobra's powerplant, Ford engineers used tuned mufflers with lower restriction (as compared to the GT). While the factory headers and H-pipe remained the same, the tailpipes were similar to that of a Mustang LX 5.0L (Sport) model in that they had straight stainless steel tips (instead of turn-down tips on the GT). This is because the Cobra had a revised rear fascia, allowing (unlike the GT) for an exposed dual exhaust. Part Numbers: F3ZZ-5230-A, stamped F3ZC-5230-CC (RH muffler), F3ZZ-5230-A, stamped F3ZC-5232-DC (LH muffler)
dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Post by dbrennancobra »

:shock: BAM! LOL this is a good thread!
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
teal_93

Post by teal_93 »

Oh my, I knew as soon as I opened this thread it had fail written all over it. lol
teal_93

Post by teal_93 »

Internals being-Crank,Rods,Pistons. our motors are the same short block as a 93 GT.
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

well you did say internals , Ninja, ... heads , intakes, mufflers, rockers, all that stuff isnt internal . the short block is the same as all the 5.0s. the main thing here is this is your car, do whatever you want to it, you can cut the roof off of it and make a vert out of it if you want! dont worry about it, if you like it , thats all that matters. But you did come here and ask what everyone thought about it , and showed your before and after pics, and it looks like they all gave their opinions. Regardless its still a 93 cobra, and you still own it , and thats what this site is all about. Some are here to learn, some are here to help, an some do both. Anyway just stick it out and dont let this run you off, we are all good people, if you need help we'll help you, and you may even be able help others. So stick around Ninja.
aaronlstiles

Post by aaronlstiles »

Ninja, thanks for reminding me of some of the stuff I long forgot, and thanks guys, I thought I was loosing my mind, I knew he said internals, but thought I must have dreamed it.

Again man, it's your car, and if you happy that is all that matters., I have been an MCA Gold Judge, and That's what makes me a purist when it comes to cars. As for comparing it to a 66 350, I can do that I have owned both, and can tell you my 93 Cobra is way more of a car than the 350 was.

Just keep your stock parts, trust me one day you will be putting them back on. I seen it happen many times.!
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

oh and as far as you not seeing the 93 as a classic, i would have to disagree, To me a classic is a car that has good looks , perfomance, and style. Limited numbers dont hurt either . A car doesnt have to be old to be a classic. and the 93 has a lot in common with the shelbys . Back in the 70s there were people chopping up shelbys , racing them , changing the colors, scrapping their wheels for Keystones, flaring the fenders, adding hood scoops the whole nine yards, then there were those that never got driven , just as with these cobras. Back in the seventies how many thought a Shelby would ever be worth what they are? The shelbys have at least 26 years over the 93, what will a 93 be worth in 2038? 8k? 15k? 50k? 200k? LOL , i dont even remember where i was going with this now, other than the 93 has a lot in common with the shelbys of the 60s and early 70s.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Pokerninja wrote:@ mike s. that is hilarious man, i admire you humor, honestly.

Im not interested in being ghetto or what anyone thinks except me. That front of that first car looks crazy, ill admit and i was a little bit hesitant about modding the lights. I can agree with you there. THAT hood is too much in my opinion (as are most of the hoods including the mach,stormin norman and the cowl hood). I purposely went with the most subtle change i could find. one scoop, that's it. I also would never blaze a stick on the front....That BACK of that car looks like shit. I would never do that to any car. period. These are arguable differences but your point is taken. I cant really see the tires but i don't see any problem with deep dish. I would never put anything bigger than 18's on my car and i may just get 17's. The red car is nice, I think you choose the wrong picture to make your point there.
OK, how about this one?

Adding rims doesn't mean the car is riced out or trying to be "hard". sorry. As for the American flag car, not my thing but hey - if some vet loves his country and his car - go for it!! I'm not going to hate on that one bit. Oh and by the way, you'd never catch me in a bmw or an evo. wrong guy by a mile.
Ninja,

I'm glad you saw the humor in it. This is the board on the net for '93 Cobras, and around here, we are quite enthusiastic about these cars and their unique appearance. Changing a bunch of stuff, although bolt-on, does tend to cheapen their appearance and make them lose their factory limited flavor. What you see in this thread is tough-love, '93 Cobra community style. Few here will pull punches, you'll get the straight scoop in real time. Performance mods are alright, even encouraged in many cases (mine has a blower and 440 RWHP) but it looks stock save for springs.

Deep dish is a better term for pizza, but unless you swap to shorter regular length GT/LX axles, a deep offset wheel will stick out the back like the ghetto'd out black car. Not a good look, and fender rub is unavoidable.

You mention the slightly different (but not tougher) engine, but then you say that you may want to build a monster 800HP car. There is nothing, other than the timing cover, that you can use from the stock engine on an engine making that kind of power. Everything will have to be serious aftermarket, and the trans and rear end will also have to be upgraded, as well as the body, (roll cage and subframe connectors, at a minimum) and now you have a cut-up car that can't really be put back stock, and you are at least 50K lighter in the pocketbook for a modded car that will be worth the same or less than it is now. We've seen it here too many times before, and you have to be 100% sure that you want to go down that road with such a nice survivor as your car - and not a high mile car instead that's worth far less and would be a better choice for a wild build.

Think it over, a clean '93 Cobra is a very unique looking car on today's roads, even stock. They get all the right kind of attention, and speak to the taste of the owners. Plan your mods well, and plan them reversible too, because you never know.

-MJS
1993cobra
Site Admin

Post by 1993cobra »

would this turbo kit hurt the value my car?

Last edited by 1993cobra on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.