need help POSSIBLE SCAM

Got a VIN number and need build info, post it here.

Moderators: 1993cobra, WillyB93

RAPER

need help POSSIBLE SCAM

Post by RAPER »

Ok.. I was very reluctant at first to share any info on this vehicle due to the "amazing" price on it and me being afraid one hell of a deal would be snaked away by someone in a better position to strike first than myself due to distance from me. With that said I after the last email I received from the seller, the scam flags are thrown and I now am bringing it to the community to see what the masses say about it. I will share all the info I currently have on the cobra... the given vin # is 1FACP42D3PF141948

Here's the FS thread I found it in originally :
http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-fo ... -251284653

I then email'd them and got a response:

Brad
to bean705barron
Hi.. I'm looking for a 93 teal cobra and yours popped up on a car search.. Is it still available?.. I'm a third shifter and I'm emailing you at work and I apologize for it being at an odd hour.. Anyways I would love to take it off your hands if you still have it..please get back with me

Thanks again..
Brad

response:

SNOW QUEEN
to me
The car is still for sale, the price is correct ! The car is in perfect working state ( see pics ), no hidden dents, scratches, dings. Very clean inside and outside, garage kept, no accidents. It has all the necessary documents (clean title in hand, original bill of sale,user's manual, all history receipts and documents, insurance etc). The title is clear.
Where are you located ?

Thanks

I thought it was odd that the same email that my original message was sent to, didn't reply back.. but then I just figured they had multiples like myself and just let that go.. However I never did mention the price to them but they mentioned the price was correct which I found odd they would do that. I replied with this

:

Brad Raper
to SNOW
OK.. thanks for getting back with me on the car. The picutres look really good. Does the A/C function properly? . Also you stated it has a clear title.. Its not a salvage or flood title then? Also are all the vin tags present that you know of on all the body panels?.. I live near Rockford, IL so there is a ton of distance between me and you but I don't have any issues jumping on a plane and flying out to California to finalize a purchase. I never have been to California so it might be a nice road trip home. Anyways I'm a serious buyer and I'm just trying to get as much info as I can..
Thanks again,

I then started researching the VIN that was provided through good ol google.. this is what I found:

http://www.autobia.com/car-detail/musta ... 43777.html
http://www.auto-berry.com/items/19955

and then came across this thread from this forum from 2013
viewtopic.php?t=6060&p=57716

I started having good feelings about the car after seeing that thread.. then I came across an eBay thread on the car
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Ford-Musta ... 7675.l2557

Things seemed legit here.. the auto check looked good except for no record after the vehicle in 2013 and at that time when it was posted it was OCT 2014

Then I got another email from the seller:
SNOW QUEEN

to me
Hello,

Due to the high volume of internet scams, i will send the car to your home address COD ( CASH ON DELIVERY ) so in this way this will be a safe transaction for both of us. As you probably noticed, the price is rather low, the reason I selling the car at this price is because i have to pay 18000 usd for registration here in Portugal. The car is here in my garage in Portugal. I can drive the car here, the insurance is still available until next month. When insurance expire, i can't drive it, so i have to register the car here. I can't spend 18000 usd for registration so i have to sell it. Now, I can't come to USA to sell the car because I'll spend money and lose more time, my only chance to sell this car is to find a buyer in the U.S. or another country. I can send the car to your home, transport will take approximately 19 days, after you receive the car you will have another two days to inspect it. When the inspection period ends, the transport company will contact you and if there are any issues with the car you can decline it. If all is good, I'm sure it will be, you will be able to transfer your name in the title to your local DMV.
I give you the chance to receive the car at your home address BEFORE i receive my money for it.
PLEASE SEND ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND WE WILL TALK ALL DETAILS.

Thanks

A metric ton of red flags got tossed up in my head.. I have yet to reply but plan on it soon...

Part of me wants to see what happens however my gut and my mind tells me that this guy is a scammer and to stay the hell away.

What do all of you think?? Any of you have any more info on the car?? anyone have any dealings with this seller before???
93 Cobra #4300
VIbrant Red
Grey Cloth
331 Stroker
Procharger D1 system
dbrennancobra
Mustang Enthusiast

Re: need help POSSIBLE SCAM

Post by dbrennancobra »

You think???

You know what, I think you should wire him $18k today, before anyone else does..... :think:
2004 svt Cobra Mystichrome Convertible STOCK
1967 mustang Coupe STOCK Red/Black - SOLD
1993 Cobra STOCK Red/Black #1264 SOLD
[youtube2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2pl2ye ... e=youtu.be [/youtube2]
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Yea, that definitely sounds like a scam there.

Try making contact with the original ebay member who enlisted the car on ebay. I believe he is the seller of the car and the other web listings of the same car are from scamers. Also, within that old thread from this forum you can see that a couple members may live near where the car maybe located. They maybe able to help you also in making contact or seeing the car in person for ya. GL, and feel free to ask questions or help anytime.
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Yea, that definitely sounds like a scam there.

Try making contact with the original ebay member who enlisted the car on ebay. I believe he is the seller of the car and the other web listings of the same car are from scamers. Also, within that old thread from this forum you can see that a couple members may live near where the car maybe located. They maybe able to help you also in making contact or seeing the car in person for ya. GL, and feel free to ask questions or help anytime.

Oh, nice car and choice in color combo! :headbang:
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Post by Z282SLO »

DEFINITELY a scam. Already mentioned in this thread -

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7640

P.S. I would also reply to that moron telling him you're reporting him on this website - http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)