Sensor refresh project

Technical Tips, Tricks and Q & A
BrentE

Sensor refresh project

Post by BrentE »

My 1993 Mustang Cobra had lost some of the crisp acceleration and torque that i remember from back when it was new. I decided on refreshing the sensors that provide input to the EEC-IV computer to see if that would help. What I did was put on Ford or Motorcraft parts, one at a time, so I could judge the effect of each one. I took a spririted test drive after each.
1. Coolant temp sensor - not any discrenable difference
2. EGR solenoid - maybe a bit easier start ? Not much change, anyway.
3. Barometric air pressue sensor - again, maybe a little bit of improvement in the upper RPM torque, but not any great change.
4. Air charge temp sensor - this one made a difference. The factory original came out easily, and was coated with a layer of thick oil / grease. As soon as the new one was in, the idle improved and the mid to upper RPM range was stronger.
5. O2 sensors - this was the most significant improvement yet. The car feels fresh, and the way it pulls at full throttle feels like i remember it doing when it was new. I used the Motocraft sensors with the last number "6", supposedly the more modern version, and am quite happy with the result.

Next i am doing the EGR valve and EGR valve position sensor, and then the Thermactor diverter valve and check valves. Last will be the TAB / TAD solenoids. I will update as the parts go on.

I am believer in using OEM parts for things that affect the engine computer's decision- making with regard to air / fuel ratios and such. So far I have been happy with the results and have used all Ford / Motorcraft parts.

The Cobra feels and drives like a different, younger car especially after the air charge temp sensor and the O2 sensors were installed. Best money I have spent on the car in years.
Last edited by BrentE on Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
Z282SLO
Mustang Aficionado

Re: Sensor refresh project

Post by Z282SLO »

Great information! Thanks for posting.
03 COBRA Black with VMP
93 COBRA Black #3754 (RIP)
89 GT Black/Scarlet Red (SOLD)
86 GT Bright Red/Gray (SOLD)
escogt
Fox Mustang Enthusiast

Post by escogt »

Z282SLO wrote:Great information! Thanks for posting.
Agreed!!! Good stuff for sure!!
'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue (K7)
'92LX Bimini Blue (K3)
'93COBRA #1521 Teal/Black (RD) SOLD
'93COBRA #163 Black/Gray leather (UA) M.I.A.
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

I am dumping a fair bit of $$$ into my car in an effort to make it pretty and healthy again. I have a set of NOS drip rails, belt moldings, power window motors, interior pieces, etc. that i have bought over the past year. My first work is on the mechanical side - new alternator, water pump, timing chain, harmonic balancer, and radiator . I used aftermarket pieces for those - Fluidyne radiator, Edelbrock water pump, PA Performane alternator but have some new Ford pieces in boxes and will have the radiator redone for when it is time to go stock again). When I finish the EGR and Thermactor pieces I will do the exterior trim, weatherstripping, and put on some NOS Hella fog lamps (broken glass on the original), then the interior. It is a big project but I take my time, the car isn't going anywhere and I want to enjoy the work, not have it stress me out. I do a piece at a time and make sure it is done well. The car will be ready for the next 22 years when it is all done, I hope! The car was a daily driver for the first 5 years but now is just a pleasure vehicle. I figure all told I am putting 5 or 6 thousand into it, but it will be almost like new except for the paint. Not sure what I will end up doing there - maybe a new paint job if I cannot get it looking good enough with elbow grease & a lot of buffing. I'll decide on that later.
Build #873. Red / Opal cloth. 105 K miles. Original owner, bought from Colley Ford in Glendora CA.
BigTuna

Post by BigTuna »

Great Info for sure thanks!

From my com
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

Because of a divorce and child custody issues, i have had zero time for my project in the last few weeks... But tomorrow and Sunday are finally free time for me! I have a few other things that I need to get done, but should have some decent amount of wrench time. Hope to get a few things done.

I have a question for the group. I want to remain pretty much stock on my interior, which is in pretty darn good shape. Years ago I did put in an aftermarket head unit which required me to cut some wire (stupid, I know). I do have the original unit, and recently scored a NOS head unit to amplifier harness. I want to go bact to stock. Is that a job for a gearhead with moderate skills, or should I have a stereo shop do the work? Messing with electronics always makes me nervous.

Also the 93 Cobra had the new style airbag monitor module which had the internal reserve power capacitors (earlier years had a seperate power module). I have looked but cannot find a correct NOS airbag monitor for this car. Anyone know of a source?
Last edited by BrentE on Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

Well, so far so good. Replaced the battery in my 328i. That had no effect on how well the Mustang Cobra is running. :smile:

I replaced the EGR valve and valve position sensor. The old one was dirty, a carbon layer through the gas passageway, but not as bad as I thought it would be. The new one went on easily. The only mishap was a brittle electrical connector, and one of the "stays" snapped off when it was spread. There are two on that connector and the other one is good, and seems to hold the connector securely.

Road test - maybe a bit smoother at mid-throttle, but hard to tell. Not a big effect anyway, nothing like the O2 sensors, so far those were the most effective replacement.
BrettT

Post by BrettT »

Is the stock radio harness still there or were they removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

The stock harness is still in the car, but the interface to the stock radio was cut off so that it could be jumpered to an aftermarket head unit. The amplifier was bypassed with a jumper, no cutting there.

But I do have a NOS radio to amplifier harness to use, in awesome shape, never installed.
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

This weekend I will hopefully do the air pump diverter valve and the two check valves. I have NOS Motorcraft parts for these. I don't anticipate much of a change, but it will be nice to have new stuff on-line. After that it will be TAD / TAB and the TPS and then I am about done. Then on to cosmetics!
Gecko86

Post by Gecko86 »

Great info!
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

Due to work, child custody, a trip out of town, a heat wave, etc, I have made only a little progress. I did the TPS and adjusted it, no real change. I also put on a new oil cooler. The one I had was a cheap Pep Boys special that I had put on in 93. It worked fine but the rubber hoses were starting to look a bit old, so I wanted to replace those. I ended up buying the Mishimoto kit for the Fox Mustang for a couple of reasons: better cooling capacity for motor oil, the cooler mount is awesome and does not contact the AC condensor, and the hoses they supply are stainless mesh reinforced with AN fittings. Pricey, but nice. Anyway I got that on with no issues, no leaks or drips. Now I dont worry about a hose developing a crack due to age and the oil is cooled better (the Mishimoto kit is a 19 row heat exchanger designed for that car and made for motor oil, the first cheaper one I put on had 10 rows and was made for transmission "or other" fluids).

This weekend it will be the check valves on the air pump lines as long as it is below 90 or so. Then TAD / TAB and I will move on to appearance issues. I do want to go to the newer 24 lb Ford injectors from Ford Racing (the six hole configuration supposedly atomizes the fuel better and the result is a better burn - I have been told that it makes a pretty big difference, but we will see some months down the road - the injectors, adaptors, new gaskets, etc make that a 300 to 350 dollar job, and my current injectors are functional (though not so well matched any longer, I suppose). A mechanic friend told me that the injectors will "likely" have an impact similar to or greater than the O2 sensors. We will see!
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

I am back! I was out for a bit. I have a problematic lower spine, and it went out on me big-time. Was unable to work on a car for a couple of months. Not sure if any of you have a bad back, but if you do not, please take my advice and treat your spine well. You do not want the lifetime of pain and periodic immobility that a messed up srpine will give you.

Anyway I am starting back on the car again. One thing I missed posting before was how much improvement you can get in throttle response from something easy & cheap if you have not done it in a while. Clean the MAF sensor with some CRC MAF Cleaner. Mine had accumulated a layer on the wires. Hosed it off with that solvent and the throttle response was greatly improved. Most people probably already do this routinely, but if you don't, get yourself the security Torx bit and take your sensor out - GENTLY - and flush it with the spray. BE GENTLE, the wires will break easily if you are aggressive. NEVER TOUCH THE WIRES WITH ANYTHING SOLID. Let the solvent do the work by dissolving the crud, the force of the stream is not what you need. This is something that is cheap and easy, and if it has not been done in a while, you may find it to give you significant improvement in upper RPM pull, starting, and idle.
BrentE

Post by BrentE »

I just finished the biggest step of all - new fuel injectors. I used the Ford Racing 24 lb/hr with the EV6 style connector (used the adapter to connect the stock wiring harness). This necessitated a 3/8" intake spacer for clearance.

I pulled the upper intake, no problems. I then pulled the stock fuel rails & injectors. All good so far.

I then installed the new injectors & Performance Products billet fuel rails and a new Aeromotive return style EFI fuel pressure regulator, new Russell fuel lines, and plumbed the new regulator & rails with AN6 stainless wrapped Teflon hose & AN fittings. Put in the spacer with 2 gaskets (bottom and top), reinstalled the upper intake & the things I had to move out of the way, and everything went fine. Torqued upper to 12 lbs.

Fired right up. No leaks! It idled better right off the bat, nice & smooth. On the first couple of test drives I did not really try to challenge it - the battery had been disconnected for a week or so, the adaptive fuel table in the EEC IV was probably wiped. It had to relearn the data for the new injectors and altered intake runner length anyway.

After a few days of taking it for 15 minute drives under a variety of conditions (steep hills, high speed on freeways, slow & fast accelerations, etc.) the EEC IV seems to have "learned" the new intake spacing & new injectors. No leaks sprung up, no issues at all.

Ran it hard last night. Excellent results overall. The lower end pull is noticeably better by "seat of the pants" (I do not have a dyno), mid RPM range is definitely improved, and I cannot tell with upper RPM range. No loss anyway.

Long & short of it - money well spent. It made more of a difference as the O2 sensors did back at the beginning of the project. The car is now running extremely well.

Put all the original hardware in wrap & in a labeled box so I have it should I ever want to go back stock.